Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-54 Chevy truck cab turned into fenderless rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silverado, Apr 26, 2005.

1. DollaBill

DollaBill

Indeed. In fact, I don't need fenders pursuant to several clauses in that statute:

815.190 Exemptions from mudguard and fender requirements. This section establishes exemptions from ORS 815.182 and 815.185. The exemptions under this section are in addition to any exemptions under ORS 801.026. The exemptions established under this section are partial or complete as described in the following:

(1) Vehicles of special interest that are registered under ORS 805.020 are deemed in compliance with the requirements and standards if:

(a) The vehicles are equipped with original manufacturer’s equipment and accessories, or their equivalent, and maintained in safe operating condition; or

(b) The vehicles are street rods that conform to ORS 815.107.

(2) Road machinery, road rollers and farm tractors are exempt from the standards and requirements.

(3) Antique motor vehicles are exempt from the standards and requirements if the vehicles are maintained as collectors’ items and used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses, but not used primarily for the transportation of persons or property.

(4) A motor truck is exempt from the requirements to be equipped with fenders or mudguards if the vehicle has just a chassis that is not equipped for hauling a load.

(5) Fenders or mudguards are not required on any modified American-made pre-1935 vehicle, or any identifiable vintage or replica thereof that is titled as a later assembled vehicle or replica and is used for show and pleasure use when such vehicle is used and driven only during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads.

(6) Manufactured dwellings are exempt from the standards and requirements. [1983 c.338 §484; 1985 c.402 §12; 1993 c.314 §5; 1997 c.402 §11; 1999 c.170 §1]

2. DollaBill

DollaBill

In fact....

Notice Subparagraph (c), below...

815.107 Exemption from equipment requirements for street rods. A vehicle of special interest that is a street rod is exempt from vehicle equipment requirements under ORS 815.075, 815.105, 815.120, 815.135, 815.175, 815.190, 815.210, 815.215, 815.230, 815.250, 815.255 and 816.340 if all of the following apply:

(1) The vehicle is equipped with original manufacturer’s equipment and accessories, or their equivalent, except that:

(a) The drive train, suspension system or brake system on the original vehicle may be replaced with a drive train, suspension system or brake system that:

(A) Conforms to the requirements of ORS 815.125, if applicable;

(B) Conforms to applicable standards established by the Department of Transportation by rule under ORS 815.030; and

(C) Bears any required proof of certification that the equipment complies with the applicable standards;

(b) The dimensions of the original body of the vehicle may be altered if the altered body conforms to the standards established by the department by rule under ORS 815.030;

(c) The hood, bumpers and fenders of the vehicle may be removed from the vehicle; and

(d) The exhaust system may be modified to discharge exhaust along the side of the vehicle if the exhaust is discharged away from the vehicle and from a location to the rear of the rear edge of the front door of the vehicle.

(2) The vehicle is maintained in safe operating condition. [1997 c.402 §5; 1999 c.59 §243]

You have to understand....I am compelled to make the argument because I am building the truck. If I can't convince myself, I sure couldn't argue it to some cop, right?

Oregon law stipulates that a a street rod is pre-1949, and that I can remove the fenders.

3. zgears

zgears

4. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

hahahahaha

5. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Yawn, I guess I missed the part where DollaBill posted up some progress pics.

6. HomerJay

HomerJay
    from Mesa, AZ

I'm headed in a similar direction with my truck, which is also a 47-54 Chevy. :D I drew up a pic of how, I hope, it will turn out when completed. I thought about the no front fenders approach, but like some people have said, it just wouldn't look right on these trucks. So they are staying. I do want to lower the hood line a bit. What do you guys think?

7. HomerJay

HomerJay
    from Mesa, AZ

I guess I forgot the pics. lol

8. james

james

I LOVE the ford model! Even with the "uglies" on the cowl. SOmehow the ford lends itself to this a little more than the chevy. I think the key is to go extreme with it. Kinda like the vw bug fenderless rods you see now. If you just take the fenders off a bug it looks stupid, but chop a bunch out of the top, kick the front suspension out a foot, and it looks good. I don't think you need to copy an older truck, just slice it up so it doesn't look like the only reason you're not running fenders is because they were too rusty.

9. Clark

Clark

That Jimmy Smith drawing kicks ass!!!
    Clark

10. Silverado

Silverado

DollaBill, I'd love to see some more pics.

HomerJay, I considered doing the same thing...leave the front alone, z the rear and bring some the rearend up close to the cab with or without a small bed (like a shortened 52 bed).

11. Silverado

Silverado

btt

12. piggy

piggy

I have plans of doing a 46 chevy truck , put the cab back18" shorten up the box a bit Im looking at doing a prowler type fender sitting a couple inches off the tire and running a similar one on the back end or just flat wide ones off the box. lower it put a 30 something grill on the front of it and have some fun driving it. We got fender laws up here too.

13. AD

AD

jeez' theres three pages of this thing, but they actually did some renderings of this type of rod in an issue of rod and custom,, called them 'trucksters' they made the cab narrower and i think they sectioned it

14. whid

whid

i'm pretty sure i saw one in sombodys pics from the nats in louisville this year.it looked pretty good to me. if done right it would be cool.the drawings in rod and custom about ayear or so ago using the pick up cabs were pretty damn cool.especially the 60-61 gm cabs.if i remember right he did cut lines and everything on those pics.......................dave

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

if you want to build it go for it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  16. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne