Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 46 Ford Sway bar advise needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodDean, Jun 8, 2014.

1. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Hi All,
    I'm looking for a little advise on my 46 Ford, I have noticed that the front sway bar dog-bone links are touching and have dented my shocks, it has tube shocks fitted that mount off the perch, as does the lower link of the dog bone (the top of the perch has 2 eyelets) has anyone else had this problem, and how did you get over it?
    Many thanks
    Dean
    Shocks(1).jpg shocks 2.jpg

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Slot out the bolt holes in that aftermarket shock bracket and see if you can get enough extra tilt at top to clear by shoving it aft, and/or slot the holes where your anti-sway bar bolts to frame and move it a tad forward to angle its links a bit. Another thing is that the dogbone itself would not miss a bit of material off of the edge where it is crimped...a touch of grinding there might actually do the whole job.
    Ideally, toss that and get brackets like '48 Ford that mount lower end of shock in outboard part of axle out of the way...

3. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Thanks Bruce, food for thought there. I'm surprised no one else seems to have come across the issue. I've had a few suggestions over on the Barn I can persue.
    Thanks again
    Dean

4. Hey Dean, I was looking at your photos, and I was wondering if you flipped the dog-bone link to the outside with the nuts facing inside, would that help with your clearance problem? Don't know if you tried that already. Couldn't hurt if you haven't yet. I would before I started drilling or moving mounting points.