Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 dodge spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Munster Motors, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

ok so i got this 46 dodge truck?

any of you guru's out there ever put disk brake spindles on the stock axle or know what set up might work to do so?

kinda like the leaf spring front end thats on it.

any idear's

2. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

wow.... no one ever modified on of these old front ends....guess i'll be the first to experiment than...lol

3. I built brackets and turned adaptors on my wife's 46, but it was almost 20 years ago, and I no longer have the specs.

4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I'd just buy the arts from this guy. www.rustyhope.com If its not listed, call or email him, I know he has a kit for the trucks. I've used his kits on 3 cars to date. Gene

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

His HAMB handle is olddaddy, try a PM.

6. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

i was gonna say i dont recall seeing anything listed from him for that...
    i may have to give him a try... gotta see if i can get some time to take it apart and do some measuring on it as well...

7. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I used a kit from Plydo 10 years ago on my stock '36 Dodge pickup axle. Uses Camaro rotors & calipers. Plumbed them to the original master cylinder. Stopped great, still using them, but finally upgraded master cylinder.

8. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

cool but what the heck is Plydo ????....i remeber playdo when i was a wee kiddo...lol

9. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Was a real good Mopar parts supplier in West Virginia. Owner died, business fell apart. I hear people getting through to them once in a while...

10. Plydo (plymouth/dodge) carried parts for early mopar.

11. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

well thats not looking like an alternative these days :eek:

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Plydo wasn't a good option 10 years ago either. I sent them money for one of their catalogs once and received a printed form telling me they would send out a book at the next printing, all I ever got was $5 taken from me. I called them a couple years later and they said they would be happy to send me a catalog, all I had to do was sent them $5! I told them it didn't work so well the first time, and i wasn't doing it again. I figured if they couldn't even send a book, they would never send any parts.

www.rustyhope.com at least communicates with you, sends your parts and is available to talk with on the phone if anything comes up. Gene

13. 73RR

73RR

I agree with Gene. Quit wasting your time and call Charlie!

14. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

will look and see what he's got....but also considering different routes if this aint feasable

15. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

well either going to try the scarebird set up or replace front axle assembly with one from speedway....

16. i use a ply-do kit on my 40vc. worked great that was a few years ago. the kit was a bolt on. just had to file the hole in the frame square to hook up the rubber brake line. never had a problem with parts or service from them.

17. I put a rusty hope disc kit on my stock 53 dodge axle and spindles. The front end is exactally the same as yours except the kingpins are smaller on a 46. I also put a 3 inch dropped axle in from sid. Are you planning on lowering your truck with the I beam axle?

18. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

are they still in business how do ya get ahold of them?

yeah not sure yet may put a drop axle in it...but i do want to lower it maybe take a leaf out

19. jaysberman

jaysberman

try Bob Shertone--Progressive Automotive, Baltimore, Ohio.
    He has a web site if great on Dodge's.

20. I forgot to add that the rusty hope kit is basically bolt on after you get all the parts off the list. I'm not sure if everyone had to but I needed to make a spacer because the inside bearing was loose on the spindle. It may have just been my truck though, seeing as it had nearly 300,000 miles on it! :D

Feel free to pm me if you need any info or pics of the disc kit I have or the dropped axle. I'll be more that happy to help

21. i know the guy that ran ply-do died and his kids took over. i dont have there number in my new phone. i will look at some old phones to see if it is in there.

22. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I've used 3 Rusty Hope kits. Had an issue with the one for my 39 Plymouth, I identified the wrong spindle on my car, when the Kit came in, and I called Charlie, I realized my mistake and we got everything straightened out. I bought all the parts locally and all the parts Charlie sent me fit very well (once i ordered the right parts). Wouldn't hesitate to use him again. Gene

23. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

was thinking of a 6" drop axle? any one put one in theirs?