Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 chevy engine removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by project 41, May 22, 2012.

1. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

i am going to remove the original 216 from my 46 chevy. what is the best process to do this? putting in another pre 55 stovebolt. thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

take off the front sheet metal, unless it's already painted and nice. In that case just remove the radiator and core support. remove the water pump, unbolt the transmission, linkage, mounts, wiring, exhaust, plumbing, etc and lift the engine out with the bellhousing attached.

Or am I missing something?

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Should go with out saying, but unbolt the motor mounts.:D

4. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

i was told by someone moyor and trans had to come out together, i thought i should only have to unbolt trans frpm bellhouseing

5. squirrel

squirrel

You should just have to unbolt the trans from the bellhousing.

6. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Bellhousing has motor mounts, same as the motor does up front. While you can probably get the motor out with the trans in, you'll probably play all kinds of hell getting the new motor to line up if the trans is still solid in the frame. If it was me, I'd pull the trans with the engine. It's four bolts for the trans, eight for the driveshaft, and three cotter pins.

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Have you actually done this with the front sheet metal on one of these cars??

8. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

this is a bit off the subject but has anyone ever put a smallblock and 4 speed in one of these cars and used the stock clutch linkage and stock brake pedal?