Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 46-48 Ford car frame core support mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CDEL, May 20, 2022.

1. CDEL

CDEL

Seeking assistance with a measurement. Prior work had filled the holes used to mount the front sheet metal/core support cross member. I’m wanting to revert this back to stock and have been unsuccessful finding dimensioned drawings with this particular measurement. From what I recall some frames had two sets of holes...I just assumed Ford vs Merc sheet metal. Mine is a ‘46 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe. I’m hoping someone might know these hole placements from the front axle centerline or other reference point. Many thanks in advance!

2. topher5150

topher5150

The Merc frame is longer by about 4 inches. My Ford came on a Merc frame and I think the core brace is the same so I could take a measurement tonight if no one else does.

3. CDEL

CDEL

Much appreciated. That’s interesting, I did not know that about the merc. The frame I’d seen had the second set about an inch difference from the first set. My frame had shackle mounts and plate welded there, then cut off so it was repaired with new plate but I have no idea where to put the holes. The frame is on a rotisserie so mocking up the front clip isn’t feasible.

4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

On my frame - 48 ford 2 door sedan - measuring from the front lower rivet on the front main crossmember to the rear bolt on the front sheetmetal crossmember is 6 3/4 inches as shown on the artful rendition below:
    48 ford frame pic 3.jpg

Algoma56 likes this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The reason you may be seeing a second set of holes could be related to the fact that the 6 cylinder cars had the radiator mounted considerably further forward. With a totally different radiator shield and etc.

Seems unlikely that they would pop the holes in just the frames that needed them and not all of them based on previous ford frames that have shit tons of extra holes for different arrangements.

6. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

This might have some dimensions you can use

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  7. CDEL

CDEL

@Tim that seems plausible, good to know! @brake1000 I'd love to know who's catalog that's from...saw some parts I might need. @topher5150 I just checked out your build thread...that's some true grit, looking forward to seeing more of it! Mine started similarly (A bare cabin with the floor and firewall gutted (former gasser) and two doors. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to document it here...might have kept me more consistent. I've been working on it off and on for much longer than any sane person would. I got the car when I was 14...I'll be 50 this year. I should have the frame in color and back on its feet this summer...then back to final body finesse and hopefully color by the end of next summer.

8. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

The best reference book for your 1946 Ford, is called the Green Bible. There are copies on eBay for sale.