Register now to get rid of these ads!

454 with 4l80e transplant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arnolddyer, Mar 23, 2011.

1. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Has anybody done a 454 Chevy and 4l80e transplant to another car? I do have the computer and wiring harness also.

2. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

What?no thoughts?No gear heads advice?

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

shall i point out that this is a forum for traditional hot rods? try chevytalk.com

4. JEM

JEM

What car and what specifically do you need to know?

It's a big motor, you need enough room, enough cooling, something that'll carry 750lb of motor plus a big transmission.

TBI motors have ports the size of a small rodent's sphincter, compression ratio in stationary-industrial-engine (or tuned Ford Model B) territory, make very little power and are useless above 4000RPM, at least the TBI injection and ECU and etc. are very self-contained.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I was gonna say, "Wrong forum" as well. Lose the TBI, get a stand alone controller for the trans and it's no different than any BBC swap. LT1swap.com or the great LS1 Performance board will give you any info you need if you (foolishly) decide you have to run the TBI.

Brian

6. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I called TCI, they sell computers for 4l80e transmissions,and they told me I don't need another computer as long as I have the original one and the wiring harness

7. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I was going to do a gm conversion to a rolls.

8. JEM

JEM

Could be interesting, think some Roller engine compartments are a tad narrow for a BBC but I'm no expert and I assume you've got a measuring tape, pay attention to the oil-pan sump location too.

I think you can actually run the 4L80 off the GM 16147060 computer (or other 4L80E-capable ECMs) without the TBI as long as you have throttle-position and vehicle-speed inputs and maybe a MAP sensor connected. Aftermarket controllers might be more easily tunable but a Moates Autoprom will let you get to all the tables in the factory ECM if you want to go down that road. 454SS.com forum also useful.