Register now to get rid of these ads!

440 injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powdercoater46, Feb 23, 2012.

1. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

My friend has a 440 6 pak and wants to drive the 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour but currently the car gets lousy mileage.

I'm looking for hints as to which injection to buy...F.A.S.T., Edelbrock, etc.

What's the most trouble free and serviceable on the tour route?

2. None of them are really "serviceable" on the tour route. Ideally you should not have a problem.

Holley makes a quick'n'easy. But I doubt that anyone makes anything that will work with the 6 pak intake. So your friend will need to come up with a 4 bbl intake.

3. Arominus

Arominus

IIRC the fast system will support more HP but the edelbrock is pretty nice too. I don't think you could go wrong either way. To really get it dialed i would look at some dyno time though.

4. umm maybe your friend needs to keep his foot out of it it should be only running on the center two barrels while doing around the town stuff

if its a real 440 6 pack as in numbers matching etc i wouldnt hack it up to put efi on it

heck i wouldnt hack it up to put efi on it if it was w 1bbl slant six

5. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you regarding fuel injection. I will comment though :D ... feel free to ignore ...

I think you should do the math on this first (assuming you haven't already) before buying any particular fuel injection unit. What kind of mileage does it get now? What kind of "real world" mileage can you expect from the conversion? How many miles will you be driving on the tour? How much money will it cost you in fuel with the 6-pak? How much money will it cost you in fuel with the injection? How much money will it cost you to convert to injection? It just might be cheaper to run the 6-pak.

As far as servicability/reliability on the road ... carry an extra mechanical fuel pump in the trunk and a rebuild kit for the center carb. With the injection, if something does go wrong ... I can pretty much assure you that parts will not be found quickly or easily.

If (as someone else has already mentioned) this car is an original 6-pak car, I wouldn't be in any rush to convert it.

Drop your gas tank, put a filter "sock" on the pick-up tube (if there isn't one already). Add an inline filter (and not one of those "fancy" ones where the filter element fails and clogs your system) and hit the road.

Hell, it might even be cheaper if you just pull the 440/727 and drop in a 318/904 ... ok, that was a joke ... although I do know a guy who pulled the original 427 sideoiler out of his AC Cobra and installed a diesel engine from a VW Golf in the interest of better fuel mileage ... or maybe not \{"}/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

How about some desert gears like 2.73 even a non-posi gotta be cheaper than EFI.

Pat

7. Arominus

Arominus

Born makes a good point. You may be better served installing 2 wide band o2 sensors, an AF gauge, and renting some dyno time (or driving a lot) to really get the carbs dialed in, this may pay huge dividends without the cost of a full fuel injection conversion.

8. 1. Keep the foot out of the carbs
    2. Gear it for mileage
    3. Efi won't fix either of those

4. If 1&2 aren't the problem, maybe it needs a tune up or carbs tuned

9. The idea of swapping to a "highway" or "desert" gear makes sense (to me) as long as the car isn't eqiupped with a Dana 60 (which, if it is a 4-gear, is very likely ... if I remember correctly). If it has an 8 3/4, absolutely pull the 4.10's and go a complete center section with a 3.23 or 2.76. Swap back when you return.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edelbrock will be at every stop on the Power Tour, with people that know how to fix their stuff. I think that would make it the most serviceable for this particular event.

11. ecam

ecam

If it's still in a full size car, you can expect about mid teens for milage, if it is just being cruised. Took my 440 70 Charger cross county a number of years ago, and with 323's out back (and 727) saw 14-15 most of the trip.

I'm with the others, gear it and tune it. Live with the milage. The mid 80's Chargers got great milage with their 2.2 and turbo, but I'd rather cruise the old stuff.

12. trashn'l

trashn'l

Sounds like a tuning issue. My '71 Road Runner has a 6 pak on it with a hemi grind cam, auto and 3.23 gears. I can get 12-14 MPG if I don't have my foot in it to pass everything but a gas station. It did take me quite a bit of tuning to get the jetting right and end carbs to open at the right time. It works great now. This is my 3rd 6 pak car, they are not for everyone, but once you figure out the tuning, they kick ass!

13. 73RR

73RR

I don't recall MotherMopar ever advertising the 440-6 as an 'economy' package.....:p