Register now to get rid of these ads!

440 dodge in 63 dart????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1, Dec 26, 2012.

1. so how had will it be to pack a 440 in a 63 dart I found a company that say they have a motor mount kit (shows to fit 63 and up darts) but from what I have read the 63 fire wall was different the the 64 darts and up any one done this swap????????????

I have a dart no one wants and a very nice 440 I know the rear will have to go and probably have to make a set of headers

2. CGkidd

CGkidd

Sounds like one hell of a fun ride...

3. Deuces

Deuces

Git'er done!!!....:D

4. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

As early as '62, they were putting 413s in 'em...pretty sure 413/440 are pretty much same size. My first "hot rod" experience was my dad taking me on a few passes in a '62 Dart, 413, 3 speed, factory Super Stock car when I was 9 yr. old.

5. Are the motor mounts from Schumacher?

6. the pre 67 a-bodys engine compartment isnt designed to hold a big block its @2 inches too narrow and the trans tunnel isnt high(big) enough to house a b727 trans theres alot of cutting and pasting you need to do

go over to bigblockdart.com im sure youll find all the info you need there

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like it would be one hell of a fun ride. Please start a build thread if you go for it.
    If you decide to go the Gasser style route post a picture of your car and I'll photoshop it in that version.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. servi53

servi53

Hell yes, I want to see it

9. dr dodge

dr dodge
    from tomball tx

as stated above, that dart has the smallest engine compartment.
    they only came with /6 or a engines (small blocks)

the direct connection bible from 84 says not advised...read as a bunch of body mods
    additionally the bolt pattern will be a 4" which will be tough to find rims
    some late models use a similar pattern, but these are all for front drive, so back spacing is off.
    last problem will be the possibility it has a 7 1/4 rear end. whimpy,whimpy,whimpy

so that said, the solution is, as your name implies....gasser!
    straight axle, big dana rear, exhaust out the fenderwells

that would be pretty cool

dr

10. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Gasser, I own 7 Darts and can't believe how much incorrect information you've been given in only a few replys.

Ironicaly, the Thunderbird gent is right on.

We're neighbors, I'd be glad to help you any way I can. And in the unlikely event I can't answer any question, I can put you in touch with someone who can.

An AWB big block early A would be a beast!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Steve Magnante built one and has a bunch of pictures in his how to Altered Wheelbase Book. The guy who did the body surgery and axle conversion on his car is on the HAMB too. Dale Snoke is his name not sure if that's what he goes by on here though. He has a website too Google funny car farm.

www.meltdowndrags.com

12. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

guys get confused cuz ma mopar moved the Dart name from the full size line in 62 to the compact line in 63. 62-65 Superstock Dodges with 413/426 were fullsize

13. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

All right! I always do hard stuff like that too......sounds killer though, my vote is for the subdued sleeper look, steelies and hub caps, keep it low key. Best of luck with that!

14. The 440 will be to much weight on the front and it will handle like shit. You will be doing a lot of cutting and fabbing to stuff that thing in there. I have 6 valiants/darts from 63-67 and just putting a 360/904 into my 63 was a pain in the ass...wiper motor is on the firewall right in the way of the dist, Headers were a small fortune and fenderwell at that, but on the b/rb the dist is in the front, but the width of the b/rb is a killer and steering, exhaust, oil pan, tarns and crossmember and a few others will test your fab skills.

15. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Do it anyway. That's what hot-rodding is all about. All you need is the desire, a cutting torch, and a BFH and it will go in there. Might be a PITA but just think how effin' outrageous it will be when done. Theres not enough room for a 289 in a Sunbeam Alpine, but it didn't stop Shelby from making the Tiger. I've seen a 348 powered Sprite, talk about no room.And too many more to list. I gaurantee you, you will be remembered if you do it, not if you don't. JMO

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Idahorocks

Idahorocks
    from Spring, TX

Gasser, I think I saw your Dart on CL. Surprised you don't have more interest in it. Looks to be a nice solid car.

17. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend that once put a 383 in a '66 Cuda. At one time I knew how he did it. Do not remember now. Do see him from time to time. Will ask him when I see him.

18. Get a set of Shumaker mounts and they also make headers for this swap. there in sea town as I recall. I would respectfully up date the brakes with 72 A body disks and step up to an 72 9.1/4 rearend or the much wanted 8.3/4. no trans hump mod is needed. also up date your Bars.

19. Major surgery to put any big-block Mopar in a '63 Mopar A-body!!! As stated, you'll going to need to do major cutting on the firewall, remove the inner fenders altogether, and (preferably) do a whole new K-frame...or better yet, a new crossmember with a MII steering set-up. It's going to be a drag car when you are done. While you are at it, I'd install a narrowed Ford 9" or a Mopar 8-3/4" rear and a four-link. This is a very seldom-done street car swap/build. I'd just go ahead and build the beast and see what happens!!!

A big block in an A-body Mopar makes for a very cool go-fast-in-a-straight-line machine. Turning is a bit more involved. I've owned three factory big-block A-body cars over the years - two 383 automatic Dart GTS and a '69 GTS 440 car with 3.91 gears. Awesome cars in a straight line!

20. when I was a wee lad I remember seeing a 64 with a 383 in it, one thing I remember was he had the factory headers, the ones that rose up by the valve covers, but he had a passenger one reversed on the drivers side to clear steering...I was probably 14 and still remember that bad bitch...still had the stocker skinnys all the way around and it drove like it was on ice.
    after reading the rest of the comments, I have to say, this was no drag car, still had inner fenders and looked bone stock from the outside.

21. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Well, as most have noted, the 63 engine compartment and trans tunnel will not hold a big block without major surgery. You don't state what you are after, but it sounds more like you are looking for a car that you can bolt a big block into - which is not the case.

What you end up with is a car that is carved up and would be most likely faster, and drive better, with a good small block anyway.

Putting a big block in an early A-Body is like gaining 300 lbs. then wearing a Speedo to the beach.....there's no reason you can't do it but why the hell would you?

22. Late '69...So there I was...cruising Broadway in Portland for chicks in my 57 Pontiac when I spy this white 63 "spaceshit" styled dart with no hood, big block with the long ram tube intakes and 2 Holleys sitting in cut-outs going into the tops of the front fenders!
    Talked to the guy and he said it was a 413 from a big Chrysler...asked me if I wanted to cruise a circuit with him. Turns out he was leaving to go to Viet Nam the next day. Asked me if I wanted to buy it right there. Ha! I was making 55 bucks a week on "after service" unemployment insurance. He wanted 300 bucks for it.
    He nailed it a few times and the back tires blazed up in smoke. When we caught traction, that thing flew! I didn't ask what he had to do to shuhorn that monster in that little car but it was impressive! 'Specially with the two carbs jitterbugging up and down on the cut-out fender tops...Jesus Lord!

23. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Hahhahaaa

24. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Well Gasser , you had to go and make me look . I was always told no no no , it wont fit . I guess with so many irons in the fire I never tried , I was wrong . It fits and it sounds like it fits like a glove , headers are a different story , but if it was easy you wouldn't be asking . I've seen many headers made , before it was produced to fit the car . It will be easier for you because you have pictures to go by and you can buy header kits to start with . What pictures am I talking about you say , well these of course . Enjoy and dont forget to share your build with us .
    http://abodyjoe.com/64valiant/64valiant.htm

25. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Actually Shelby didn't make the Sunbeam Tiger, Pressed Steel in England did all the body mods. The Consul Capri guys found that out. But that's for another topic.

A local dude had a 63 Valiant and wanted me to make headers for the 340 in it. Under chassis, he said the only ones he can find are fenderwell and won't clear the tires he wants to use. I looked that car over a long time to see what it would involve and must have quoted him too much because i never did build them. It is really tight and a big block with bigger header tubes would be even tighter. I think it'd go in there but sure wouldn't be an easy swap or easy to get at anything without some real cutting.

But if cutting isn't an issue anything is possible. Glen May's wife's car is a an early Valiant convertible with a 392 Hemi. The whole front suspension, firewall and engine bay is changed. It's pink and built 15 or 20 years ago if anyone knows of an better pic still online.

It's the lower pic here.
    http://www.cc-racing.com/cms/content/content_photos.html

26. Yes Schumacher was the mount

The reason for the 440 is I have a friend with one with a stroke kit , aluminum heads,roller cam and the price is right $1000 for ever thing but intake and carbs it just needs to be freshened up I have seen it and herd it run several times

My first thought was a 350 Chevy( boy I think some one just rolled over in the grave) because I have several there cheep and easy to get performance part for. But I figured I would probably get shot for that one

I do not mind cutting one up to make some thing fit and where it will bring some decent money ( this dart is a little on the nice side though)

I am currently stuffing a 500 Cadillac, 2004r trans, 9", and 4 wheel disc brakes in a 53 ford car ( all built in my shop by me)

I just figured I could build it and have some fun the sell it and get most of my money back

"Fugly Too" I my look you up I don't do mopar and use to say I don't do Fords now I own a 53 ford and 58 Edsel and this Dart I try to stay with what I know GM but stuff happens and no GM to play with any more.

"Idahorocks" yes tried it both here and CL and only had 1 offer so figured it time to look at doing some thing with it so time to start hording parts so I can start it this summer after the ford is done

27. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

Schumacher mounts or an engine plate and fenderwell headers, my first car was a '68 barracuda with a 383/727

28. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Gasser, is it the tan one that runs and drives with current tags for 3K?

Fair price, but the market is SO mean right now.

29. Hogride

Hogride

I Built one years ago 440 4speed made mounts out of 1/4 steel from k member used hooker fender ex headers had to change shock mounts and short street rod shocks nose heavy finley made car tube chassis. car Its a Major under taking for sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]