Register now to get rid of these ads!

429 exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrownCow1992, Jul 19, 2014.

1. BrownCow1992

BrownCow1992
    from joliet il

Im going to redo the exhaust on f100 this fall its 2 inch pipe that comes off the flange but id like to go bigger either 2.5 or 3 inch its gonna get borla mufflers in it any suggestions? For size if I can di 3 inch than should I?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 35desoto

35desoto

What size is the exhaust flange outlet? An exhaust pipe bigger is a waste - any smaller and you restrict the engine further. An exhaust system is only as good as the smallest diameter pipe or bend or outlet in the system. So establish the size of the exhaust manifold outlet diameter and go from there.

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

Search for HAMB thread "elusive mercruiser". I referenced a page about five or six pages in that had a 429 truck center dump exhaust manifold that takes a 3" pipe. But that big a pipe is only needed if it had to run the full length of a bus and noise level goes up with the size of the pipe.