Register now to get rid of these ads!

'42-'48 Lincoln Front brake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bp1971, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Ok, I have searched this site high and low and can not find an answer to my problem. I have a set of '42-'48 lincoln front brakes and I would like to remove the hub from the drum for media blasting. However, I can not get them to come loose, is there some trick that I am missing? Please help.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

They are not made to be disassembled...they were sold only as a unit. You would have to press out studs, get new studs, and swedge the shoulders of studs with a really heavy press. They would then likely need turning to gettem centered again...
    Don't!

3. Ok, that makes sense.

4. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I too have wondered about this. I have a couple sets of Lincoln rear drums but no fronts.

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Attention: Attention: If you follow the advise to press out the studs you can ruin the hubs. Ford and Lincoln studs are swedged to the hub and drum to assemble the unit meaning that the stud shank is mushroomed out under pressure to joint the parts together as a unit. If you use a press to push the studs out this elongates the stud hole and you cannot get new studs to fit or worse you crack or bend the hub. If you have good drums just leave them assembled.