Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 plymouth won't start???? any ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, Dec 16, 2010.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

This car belongs to my buddy and it is a bone stock 6volt 41 plymouth.it is a running and driving car but when he went to crank it up on thursday it would not start.
    here is what has been looked at so far
    points- aligned cleaned and in adjustment
    plugs- gapped propperly and clean
    wires all connected
    fuel fresh fuel in the tank
    battery- good to go charged overnight on 6 volt charger
    carb is getting fuel
    distributor is turning as it should, points are sending spark to the plugs as they should
    it's getting
    fuel and fire and the timing has not moved at all the distributor is in the same position as it was.even tried pouring a bit of gas into the carb, didnt help.battery cables are tight and clean as well as the ground to the frame.
    any ides?

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

spark, air, fuel

are you certain the spark is good at the plug? maybe the coil is weak.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Sounds like spark. Weak coil or bad condenser, or a faulty connection. By today's standards, those 6V jobs barely started at the best of times! Are you sure it isn't just flooded?

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

jumped time? didn't those motors have big plastic timing gears, that over time decayed?

5. rogmoseley

rogmoseley

I'm with R Pope, weak coil or bad condenser. had a 51 like that, they had a fiber type timing gear and they do deteriorate as mine did.....

6. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Sounds like your not getting spark to the plugs. Even if it jumped time it should pop through the carberatror down the exhaust.

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The wire to the condenser tends to split the insulation from being flexed, then the wire can touch the distributor body and ground out....can't hurt to check it.:)

8. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

its getting spark to the plugs, checked that out already

9. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

How long did it sit idle for . I have seen more that one flattie with stuck valves .

A compression test would be a good idea .

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What color is the spark ?

11. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

car sat idle for only 1 day, compression is good , the spark is blueish white

12. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

it hasnt jumped time, checked that

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If you see any pink in the spark, replace the condenser. If it's in time, spark is blue and has fuel, and even mediocre compression, it should run. Are the plugs wet at all? Lippy

14. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

15. THOMAS31

THOMAS31
    from DALLAS Ga,

ok guys first thanks for all the help, this is my car that you guys are helping on. the 1st plugs is dry the 5th plug is wet !

16. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Did ya' tease it, with a shot of starting fluid?

17. THOMAS31

THOMAS31
    from DALLAS Ga,

no starting fluid but a drop or two of gas ....

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Stick a Chevy in it! The plugs being damp is probably your problem.

19. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

maybe something is up with the carb or fuel pump? pour some fuel in the carb or try starting fluid

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

One of you says the plugs are damp, and one says 1 is dry and 5 is wet. I'd pull all the plugs, clean and dry them, roll it over a few times with the plugs out, put in new plugs if ya got them. Give her a healthy shot of gas making sure that battery is still up good, and try it again. Is the gas fresh? Can you pull it to start it? Lippy

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

throw a couple new plugs in.

22. THOMAS31

THOMAS31
    from DALLAS Ga,

yeah I no lippy it gets confusing , ok the #1 spark plug is dry and #5 spark plug is wet . the gas is new today. here is how this starts I have been driveing my coupe everyday for months and it runs and has ran great up till a week ago when I parked the car in the garage . the cold weather set in with rain so I didnt bother getting it out, 1 week later I go to drive it to work on a thursday morning and it would not crank . the following saturday I cleaned points , plugs, button,cap, cables ...ecst. checked for fire from coil to plugs and its getting fire and gas . then tonight I check for timing everything say's it should fire up but nothing ! man all I hear is well it's 6 volt and cold weather thats what happens......I say bull shit ! these 6 volt cars ran when they were new in cold weather, they should run today ! thanks again lippy and all you guys for the help . I get side ways when I cant drive my ride lol !

23. 6 volt systems and cold weather are not a new thing..there was even cold weather back in the thirties. Seriously, one fouled plug is not going to prevent it from starting/running..a bad condenser will though. Always replace the condenser when replacing the points.

24. Kevinb71

Kevinb71

I know you say that you did not get the car out in the cold wet weather, but have you looked inside the distributor cap? If the inside has any moisture it it will mess up your firing. Try spraying the inside of the cap with WD-40. It is a moisture displacer and will not cause any problems in your dizzy.You say you have spark. Is it one spark or does it fire multiple time. The little wires in the dizzy do like to become bare so check those as well as was mentioned earlier. As far as 6 volt they if in good condition start as well as any other system.

25. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

inside the cap is dry, it fires multiple times and the wires inside the dizzy are clean and not grounding out on the breaker plate.

26. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

So is it cranking and just not catching?

27. THOMAS31

THOMAS31
    from DALLAS Ga,

..new info : I replaced the coil, condincer, and plugs today ..and no change !!!! so now Im waiting a new set of points , button , cap , plug wires and for the hell of it a new battery to come in . I never like throwing money at a problem till I know what the problem is... but guys ....Im starting to second guess everything and this should stop the guessing. may not fix the problem but then Ill know right !!!! thanks guys for getting involved with me on this , you guys are cool and Ill let you guys know something when I know !

28. exhaust plugged?

29. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

30. THOMAS31

THOMAS31
    from DALLAS Ga,

well all the old parts are changed out to new parts ,and.......nothing has changed ! STILL WONT START !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!