Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks suisidesedanman. I like the way your 33 sedan is coming along too. Going to be awesome. Good luck with the build!

2. farmer12

farmer12

Next on the list was to close the area below the parcel shelf. In order to create extra room there, I decided to cut out the bracing behind the driver and move it forward. This creates an extra 6 inches of room. Instead of using the bracing again, I'm going to fabricate a new frame. For now I'll leave it open for easy access until the floor is welded in place.

Then it was time to measure the area and fabricate the first part up to the c notch.

Attached Files:

3. farmer12

farmer12

Test fitted the panel. I made a lip facing downwards so it will slide underneath the existing floor. The remainder of the tunnel I'll make later when everything is welded in place. Before anyone mentions it, the top brackets of the 4 link will be properly braced and welded, once the body is off the chassis.

Tomorrow I'll work my way up on the c notch. Things are moving at a fast pace now. And enjoying it!

Attached Files:

4. robleticia

robleticia

Nice work, as usual!

5. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob. I love the fabrication you're doing on your '51 Chevy. Keep up the great work!

6. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Nice work! keep it up. Any more video's of the engine running?

7. Farmer12 / I need to thank you for being a straight up guy . Robleticia says you send out stuff to people quite often after you are done with the item, and your generosity pays off more than you know . He sent me a 49 ford tailight for my project that he was done with . And he says that you paid him forward some item (items) and he in turn did the same for me . I only hope that I can do the same for someone else in the future. BTW I have been watching your thread and I enjoy it greatly . Keep at it . Thanks again AW1950 (Andy)

8. robleticia

robleticia

aw1950~ he didn't send ME any parts. However he has helped out alot of fellow HAMBers in the past and it inspired me to do the same. This kind of fellowship is (to me) what the HAMB is all about, and I think farmer feels the same way. Glad I could help, now get down in that basement and get back to work!:D Now if I could just figure out how to get a Hemi out of farmer, hmmmm..........

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Andy and Rob for the kind words. About that Hemi Rob......

Anyway, back to the order of the day. Started off the day by jacking up the car and having a good look/measure how I'm going to make the next panel. Major concern was the upper bars of the 4 link and how to incorporate them in the panel. Initial plan was to fabricate two panels, but decided against that. So I climbed in the car and worked out a plan of attack. Last pic is of the part I made. Only need to get it to fit properly now.....:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. Haven't seen a picture of the whole car in a while. Looking good.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks drjones96. The car looks a bit funny with front wheels hanging down and no side steps, but I see you get the general idea.

12. farmer12

farmer12

After indenting all the edges and a lot (I mean a lot) of test fitting and grinding, I finally got the panel to work. I've cut out two sections for the upper 4 link bars, so I can always unbolt it without having to take the body off. Next week I'll fabricate some metal to cover the holes. Then I'll have to make the remainder of the tunnel. Hope to have this all done by the end of next week.

After 3 days of more than 30 hours of work, it's time to take tomorrow off. Back to my regular job for 4 days on sunday. Glad I'm almost done with the inside sheet metal. It was a lot of work but worth it in the end!:D

Attached Files:

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks gunwanted for the comments. The only other video I have of the Hemi is a 20 minute camshaft break in session. Not sure if anyone wants to look at an engine at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes.............:rolleyes: But I hope to have the engine in the chassis this spring, and as soon as it's fired up, I'll post the link. I can't wait either! Here are at least a few more pics of the engine.

Attached Files:

14. TDak

TDak
    from Oshkosh

Best of luck. I have an original '58 392 waiting for a chassis. Will follow your progress.

15. wouterftw

wouterftw

It´s cool to see how you and your car inspire the HAMB!
    I was wondering (and it could be i just missed it in those 39 pages), do you already have plates for the car?

16. farmer12

farmer12

I have all the u.s. paperwork, title, licence plate etc. Not the Dutch ones. This will be of later concern. As you may know, there are quite a few roads that lead to Rome.....

17. farmer12

farmer12

This morning I started fabricating two "boxes" to cover the top hinges and arms of the four link. Initially I'd cut a fancy shape to follow the bar, but I'm going for a square box. This will also give me an easier mounting area for the fuel tank and brackets that come along with it. First pic is of the original cuts. Then welded the boxes in place, ground the welds and then cut the excess overhang sheet metal inside the each box. Came out looking good.

Attached Files:

18. 1959apache

1959apache

good work so far buddy, keep it up

19. farmer12

farmer12

Here's a pic of it all in place in the car. Tomorrow I'm going to finish the remainder of the tunnel. Then it's time to weld up all of the trunk and interior sheet metal, before fabricating a few small pieces.

Attached Files:

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks 1959apache! Just curious, how is your Plymouth coming along?

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Eric, do you hand drill all those holes in the flanges? Must be 40 bajillion of 'em! :eek:

22. 1959apache

1959apache

its coming... I have been working on the rear end patch panels and trying to get them a little closer to looking right.

23. farmer12

farmer12

Today I fabricated the last piece of the tunnel. Decided to make a flat surface, so it will be easier later on to mount the brackets for the airride and fuel cell. After the initial fabrication, I made a profile out of some scrap metal, in order to get the correct angles and lengths. The tunnel is in, but not welded in place yet. I first need to weld the floors before I can do the final adjustment/welding of the tunnel. Came out looking great, even if I say so myself.;)

Attached Files:

24. farmer12

farmer12

I actually use a little hole punch tool. First marking the postion to get them evenly spread out, then punch the holes in the flanges. I'll try to remember to make a photo for you next time I'm working on the car. You're right, drilling would be very tedious...

Attached Files:

25. farmer12

farmer12

Started today and flattened out the old floor pan where it meets the new sheet metal. Punched a lot of holes and started welding. Then moved to the adjacent sheet and welded that too. Ground it all down and moved to the trunk. Got started on the upper part and spot welded it into place. I'll be working on the car again on friday and hope to get most of the welding done. Things are moving forward!

Attached Files:

26. farmer12

farmer12

Here are a few pics of the car in its present state.

Attached Files:

27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent work, Eric! You're really rolling now! IF YOU HAD TO GUESS, how much longer do you think it will take to finish. I'm guessing I'm a year away on mine.

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rock. My initial plan was to have it finished by July '11, but somehow this doesn't seem realistic anymore. I have done a lot of extra fabrication that was not incorporated in the initial master plan. I don't regret it whatsoever though, but it has taken up a LOT of additional time. So planning wise, I'm now looking at the autumn of this year. Hopefully this IS realistic..........:rolleyes:

29. farmer12

farmer12

Lots of spot welding today. Finally got the hang of it! Then started grinding the welds. Will finish all the interior welding on monday.

Attached Files:

30. farmer12

farmer12

Spot welded the side pieces of the trunk. Then grounded down the welds. The trunk is finished!:)

Attached Files: