Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 vs f100 brakes, measurements.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright guys I'm finally breaking down and asking the all knowing HAMB. I've searched and texted people until my eye balls fell out and I had to have my wife put them back in for me.

I'm looking for some super specific measurments.

King pin to wheel mounting surface, 40 ford front brakes vs 56 f100 brakes on the same spindle.

I've read several accounts of one being wider than another, and when your piecing together a fendered car that will be low an inch or two here or there can really push things around.

Thanks for your time and help.

~ where you measure on the king pin; center, inner edge or outer edge doesn't matter as long as both set ups are measured from the same points and are on the same spindle.

This very specific measurment will help me answer quite a lot of questions.

2. 4.75 ish inches is what I get for F100 brakes on 40 spindles and I measured from the center of the kp

Also, I did some measuring of the drums way back when I converted to f1 brakes, and if I recall, they're pretty close to originals.

Tim likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool thanks man, we are half way there now :)

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok I measured a 46 spindle, which should be the same as a 40 for this situation and from the center of the top of the King pin to the outside of the flange that the backing plate bolts to is roughly 1.5 inches.

A friend texted me that a 40 hub from mounting surface to grease seal is 3 inches.

That gives us 4 1/2 inches. Now throw in that the 40 hub mounts on the inside of the drum if the drum is a quarter inch thick they land us at 4 3/4.

They measure very differently on the outsides but bolted up they should not change the track width at all!

Awesome.

Thanks guys :)

5. That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. Is this for the 46? If you want to tuck the tires in so you can drop it, use a 37-40 axle. They are 48.5" Kp to Kp. I believe 46-48 is 50.75"

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nope new project :) but the 46 does have a narrowed and dropped axle now

7. The F-100 brakes would be about 3/8" narrower per side as compared to stock brakes. I measured from the spindle flange to the drum mount surface; that shows the difference between the two set ups. You would have to add the drum thickness to get the actual wheel mount surface width; but regular '40 composite drums and F-100 drums are pretty much the same thickness, so that wouldn't matter much.

FYI... As Dan said an F-1 set-up measures real close to stock '40-'48; maybe 1/16" wider per side.
    f-100.JPG 40.JPG

Dan Hay likes this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks Rich! I'm always hunting for such a specific measurment and with out one in hand it's nearly impossible to find it documented online most of the time.

The photos with the added graphic are great and add to what I hope is the post someone finds the next time someone's hunting for this info.

I may be common information but with out measurements you can only really believe so much of it.

Dan Hay likes this.