Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Standard Tudor Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Awesome car, awesome photo. You and your photographer buddy both do great work.

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

Cory, the car came out great, just as you've taught us to expect.
    So, what's next now? A sled?

3. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Nice ride, great shot!

4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thought I'd update the build thread since it's been a while.....though there isn't anything new on the car. We've been enjoying it, and turning miles on it all summer. So far, we've added about 5,000 miles to the odometer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had a flat on the right front last week. I'll pulled the tube, and found a really small hole near the inboard tread/sidewall area. It wasn't an obvious failure - so I'm not sure if something was just wrong with the tube from the start. I went a head on replaced both front tubes, and adjusted the brakes while I had the car up in the air.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Sweet shot.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice 40 std--great job

7. Very very nice Cory .

" '40 Fords are like Titties , you gotta go a long way to find one you don't like looking at!"

8. Fordy Frd

Fordy Frd

My new screen saver! (hope you don't mind)

9. deluxe40

deluxe40
    from California

Just discovered your great story (a year or so late). I have a '40 Tudor with the same front end setup. I'm wondering how many leaves you wound up with in the front spring. I replaced a CE spring with a Posie and then replaced that with a stock spring with a new main leaf, a shortened safety leaf and ten leaves total. I see your pictures, but can't count the leaves in the springs. Also, how is the car doing now that the newness has worn off?

10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I had the pack dearched around 1 1/2", and I think I pulled the top 3 or so leaves. The rubber bump stops had to have about 1" of the tip cut off too.

I sold the car about this time last year - it's now in North Western Idaho. That was a great car, and we put many miles on it before it left.

11. Jebster

Jebster

I am building a similar set up with 47-3/4" king pin to king pin dropped axle and reversed eye spring and disc brake kit. Right now it sits so low that the only tires I can fit up and be able to steer the wheels are old donut spares - 125/90R15, and I sure can't drive it on those! They are 24" diameter, which is what a 175/65R15 is, and I'd like to run a 5" wide rim.
    How wide is your axle? What size front rims? What size front tires?

12. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I sold this car a few years ago, but here are the front axle details:

The axle was a 46" kingpin to kingpin, with the stock '40 brakes. Most disk brake kits will actually increase track width, unless you go with Wildwoods neutral offset kit.

Wheel choice is very important too. A stock '40 wheel is 4" wide, with 3.25" of back spacing (that measurement includes the flange for the wheel weight). None of the reproduction/Gennie wheels on the market come close, which means an ever wider wheel track.

The '40 ran the stock wheels, with a 5.00/5.25-16 tires (roughly 26.5" tall). The front of those cars are a huge balancing act to get it low, while still maintaining enough steer in the wheels.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. HiSpoke

HiSpoke

Is there any chance that the images can be restored?

/ Jorgen

Blue One likes this.
  14. meeksie

meeksie
    from Australia

Yeah please restore.
    Please restore the images. There is a lot of great text in here that would be well supported by the images. I'm looking to lower a 40 front and would appreciate the pics.

Blue One likes this.
  15. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

16. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Plumfat love your 40 had your last pic of your 40 in my collection for awhile before I found mine .what size wheels and tires .also what was your method of lowering it ? Thank Dennis