Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 pickup builders - measurement please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by treb11, Jul 19, 2021.

1. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what is the height of the front cab mount leg to the frame when the wood mounting block is properly installed?
    I'm using a 47 cab, so the floor contour is different and standard blocks don't fit. I'll make hybrid blocks that are a cross between 40 and 47 configuration, but need the aforementioned measurement.

Thanks in advance.
    tapatalk_1608662769846.jpeg

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am tore down for paint so I can't help with measurements but here is a pic of the cab on the blocks mounted to the frame. Maybe it helps.
    upload_2021-7-19_11-46-7.png

3. I have 4 old pieces of the tapered forward most pieces I measured, at the thinnest point (closest to the radiator end, directly under the forward most cab mounting point) is 5/8" the webbing would add another approx. 1/8" before being squished down.

4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went back and looked at your thread, just to catch up. On my frame/cab that gap is zero. I think there may be a webbing (1/16 or 1/8 in. thick) and if it helped the front sheetmetal alignment maybe a thin shim. I have a complete new floor stamping for my cab and lays on the frame on top of the blocks . IMG_1990.JPG IMG_1991.JPG IMG_1992.JPG IMG_1995.JPG The second pic shows the "A" pillar mount bo0lt location and that's the most forward mounting point that sits on a block. In the last pic, you can see the distance between the A pillar and the firewall "foot" mount. I think I'd look at the cab floor before I shaved the wood blocks. If that is a '47 cab, it sat on a completely different frame and maybe no blocks. ( don't know the later, ladder frames).

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bumping this

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It's been awhile but I recall a problem using 40-41 pickup mounting wood with a 47 cab. I vividly remember the smell of burning wood as I used my 4.5" grinder with what I call the slap face course sand paper. I think I just had to taper the top of the wood, along the side, to allow the wood to properly seat on the bottom of the cab. I think the floor of the 47 dropped down sooner and more than a stock 40-41 as it had the gas tank under the seat. Trimmed the wood to fit around the drop for the gas tank and it worked fine as I recall.
    Maybe this will help.
    Good luck,
    Al
    BLT3QTR.JPG
    Here's the pickup... wasn't pretty but it was fun! BTW, it had 39 Ford car front fender and grille... yeah, some say they don't fit. I believe Henry Ford had a saying along the lines..."Nothing is impossible as long as you are not smart enough to realize it can't be done."
    Bullet as of 9012017 in pic from Bobby Jett in AL.JPG
    Guy that got it after me spruced it up a bit but he confessed he loved the patina that came on it and drove it like that for some time before making it pretty. It was a fun old truck that I built from parts of 14 cars and 12 trucks as I recall.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    dwollam and 40FORDPU like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Hamtown Al , I did do a bit of wood "adjustment" to the rear most piece on each side to fit it. But it was necessary because while I measured the holes for my seat belts, I failed to account for the reinforcement brackets I welded in so the wood had to be routered a bit. Wood is weird, can't use a plasma torch on it, cut off wheel just stinks up the shop and it welds for shit! Ended up putting a router bit in the drill press, put the belts on high, and put on a lot of protective gear. Worked. Made a mess, worked.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

another bump. I think I've got the mounts right. I combined profiles of 40 and 47 mounting wood, compensating for the additional reinforcements in the later cab floor. Made the mew mounts out of UHMW blocks. Still need that dimension though.