Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford steering gear in an Av8? any ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Dec 8, 2011.

1. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I am picking up a 40 Ford steering column and have a chance to get the gear with it. Its in good shape so I thought I would see if anyone has had any luck using one in a flathead powered model A.

2. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Yes, i did.

Buy it , mount it and box the frame from the crossmember to the box

3. Jimmy

Jimmy

You can rotate the box 90 degrees relative to how it is in the '40 and have the pitman shaft come out under the frame rail. Kind of like the Mustang boxes that were (are?) popularly used with four-bar kits. You will have to modify the pitman arm to index it properly. I have filed the flat sections in the pitman arm to make them splined in order to do this. The sector shaft and column will probably be too long and you will have to shorten them to fit your application.

4. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

i vote for cross steering as intended

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know of two in early cars around town. I'm doing mounts in one as we speak, so the picture will be more of that, but you can see the box and mount in the back ground of the picture. This is set up cross steer.

Attached Files:

6. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Micky, you have any pics of your cross steer setup?

7. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

And the guts will fit in an F1 box!!!

Attached Files:

8. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Mount it for cross-steering, it will look better in the interior because of the angle of the column. It will steer better, and NO bump-steer. Also you won't have to modify the column. BUT, the column shaft will be close to the head (flathead [won't work with ohv]).

Side-steering use is ok (turned 90º), but you'll have to shorten the column shaft. Also the pitman arm will be pointing up.

I have two A roadsters with '40 boxes --one is side-steer, one cross-steer.

9. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I mounted one in a Model A with a boxed frame and I just made a bracket welded on the outside of the frame to mount it to. It fit right in the frame with a 59A flathead but it won't fit with an 8BA flathead, they are a little bigger so the mast jacket would need to be cut in half.

Attached Files:

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That's what I am using in my coupe. I have switched from f100 side steer hoping for better ratio and cleaner look, though this is more because of the channel than anything else..

11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Thanks guys! Ill have to set it all in there and see what im up against. I have a fealing I may have to change my header plans though.

12. F&J

F&J

If the 40 box is really nice, you will be happy with how it steers. I have a 40 Ford with the stock non-rebuilt box, with a very heavy early Olds engine. This car steers so nice, even when sitting still, or when doing tight very slow turns. It's perfect if my opinion counts :)

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I use them all the time. Sometimes I cut it in half & splice in (weld) a u-joint if ness.

14. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

My 32 runs a 39 cross steer set up, its darn tight in a 32 past the cyl heads, the steering box is recessed into the frame about an inch, and the column is in the stock location relative to the dash. On an A framed Av8 these clearances will probably get tighter as the frame is a little narrower at the front, but It works really well if you can sort out fitting it in. Moving the column an inch or two towards the door really helps (I wanted a big steering wheel so couldnt do this) sorry bout the arty shot..all I could find in a hurry.

[​IMG]

15. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Great pics guys! Thanks!

lowsquire, I love that shot!

mataconcepts, That thought about cutting it an using a u-joint had crossed my mind. I would have to get crafty and hide the u-joint though, but nothing wrong with that.

16. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I set the column in there last night and there is not much room for it between the head and the frame unless I move it back towards the firewall but then it starts getting crowded where my pedals are going to be and the tie rod would most likely run into the oil pan as skidmarks said.

Im going to play around with it some more, maybe raising the motor up a bit or look at placing it under the frame sideways like a mustang box.

17. Buckster

Buckster

Back in the 60's I rotated a '46-'48 steering box 90 degrees like Jimmy did in the previous post. I had to use a power take off u-joint to connect the box to my Model A's shaft.
    It was mounted like the Mustang units that were done in the 70's. I also had to rework the pitman arm's splines to get it in the correct phase/orientation.

18. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Remember the tie rod and drag link have to close to parallel, so don't move it back too far. If you move the box into the frame an inch or so( hard to mock up I know!) you may just get past the head. I think an A frame may be a fair bit narrower in that area ,so its going to be tight!

19. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

What kind of rod do you use for welding the new flanges on the steering boxes. Regular wire feed?? They are probably cast steel but I don't know for sure. Does anyone have any info on this??

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Are '40 thru '48 steering boxes all the same?

21. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I guess the box is the same but the shaft is longer on the 41-48.. says skidmarks

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

23. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Yea, the box is cast steel. Some recommend to preheat both the box and the flange before welding...