Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford front spring used as rear who has this setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jobbless, May 26, 2011.

1. jobbless

jobbless

i have a 40 front posies spring. i had planned on using it in the rear of my car 30 roadster on 32 frame 9" rear and 36 radius rods. has anyone done this? pics? i have had people tell me it is a good set up. i have had people tell me it doesn't work.. i would like to hear from someone who has done it. and not just someone repeating what they heard. pics would be a plus.

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'm going to be doing the rear suspension on my '32 frame pretty much the same way. Set of '36 rear bones, a '42 front spring, early Chrysler 8 3/4 rearend.

The bones will be triangulated like stock and I may run a torque arm to give the bones a little help under hard acceleration, as I plan on running a 440/727/3.91s and cheater slicks.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There are plenty of 40 and other front springs on early Ford and other hotrods being used as rear springs. Most on lighter cars like Tbuckets and A roadsters, coupesters etc.
    The key to best ride is making sure your radius rod spring eyes are the same distance apart eye to eye as the front spring mounts on a 40. That way your spring is mounted in tension as Ford designed them to be so you don't need a Panhard rod.
    Your rear crossmember will determine the ride height of the car.
    Been done, nothing wrong with it at all.

When using any spring from 28-41 Fords front OR rear just be sure your spring mounting eyes are the same spread as the original vehicle they came from.
    This does not apply to 42-48 Ford front or rear springs as they were NOT mounted in tension and the cars DID have panhard rods front and rear.
    Not that you can't mount them under tension like the earlier ones, you can. Simply lay the spring out with whatever shackles you will be using and and add 1 to 1.5" to the dimension between outer shackle bolts.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  4. jobbless

jobbless

i was told there is not enough arch in the spring. i don't know what that changes, or if it changes anything but the height. i would like the car to sit low, but without the spring all the way up in my trunk.

5. wayne-o

wayne-o

I just finished my roadster with a 40 front spring in the rear with the 36 bones. Did it a little different by mounting the bones with a rubber busing between them and the axle housing then an upper arm to take up the torque. Used a stock 40 rear crossmember, IE not flattened. The bushing setup lowered the mounting point of the arms and thus the spring shackle mount. Everything came out ok height wise. Have been changing leaves trying to get the ride better. My spring does not have a lot of arch to it.
    I have pic's on my other computer at home, can send some to you later.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 480pt; HEIGHT: 359.25pt" id=_x0035_4782609-b7e3-4a37-82f7-4c70f7d90f0e alt="" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:href="cid:[email protected]" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Wayne\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

6. jobbless

jobbless

wayne-o, cool the insulated mounts sound interesting. i would like to see some pics of your set up.

el scotto. all mopar drive line. what is it?

7. F&J

F&J

When you make the 2 bolt brackets that weld to each axle tube, you can make the 35/36 arms hang lower under the tube compared to where they were in a stock 35/36.

This lowers the car, and like Andy said a few days ago, it takes a bit of stress off of the arms, due to the laws of leverage.