Register now to get rid of these ads!

40/41 Merc parts prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhmagill, Oct 8, 2007.

1. jhmagill

jhmagill

I found a 40/41 Mercury in a junkyard. What's the front axle assembly and the rear end worth? It's sitting on the ground and has no wheels. I know it may be hard to tell but I'm just looking for a ballpark est. Is the transmission worth anything? How about the steering box and column and the bucket seats?

Thanks

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Bucket seats in a 40-41 Mercury??
    The rearend of the Mercurys in 39-40(perhaps 41) had a one-piece driveshaft/pinion gear unlike the Fords.
    I wonder if the front end and steering box/column isn't the same as the Fords since the extra length of the early Mercs was added in the middle of the car rather than the front end as in later years.

3. jhmagill

jhmagill

Yep! Bucket seats. Looks kinda like a bomber style but they don't wrap around in the back and are padded all around. I don't know anything about Merc's so I guess from your reaction they aren't orignal. I'm more interested in the front end stuff and maybe the rear end stuff. The guy has a complete 50 something Merc flathead also if someone is interested.

4. 40 and 41 are completly different. big money in 40 parts, not so much in 41....

5. jhmagill

jhmagill

Ok, how do I tell the difference? The front sheet metal is gone. The dash is gone. Driver's door is bashed in and I think we've determined the interior is not orignal.

6. Do the bottm of the doors "bump" outward, or are they strait down? Kind of like the difference between a 40 ford and a 41 ford. one peice rear window or two? One will be 41-48, two will be 39/40

7. jhmagill

jhmagill

Must be a 39/40. I know rear window is a two peice. The doors are trashed so I didn't pay too much attention. I was on my lunch break.

8. 53chevy

53chevy

The B Pillar is a dead give away and the top door frames. How's the rear sheet metal? and trunk area? I know there are folks looking parts here and there for their 39/40 Merc coupe? Let us know what's good.

ken

9. jhmagill

jhmagill

It's a tudor, The rear fenders may be usable. The front sheet metal is gone, The floor is mostly gone. The roof, rear window, side window area is be usable. I opened the trunk but couldn't tell you what shape it's lid is in. The floor in the trunk is gone. There may be some peices that are usable but I was looking for the front axle and didn't pay too much attention to the rest. Now here is the interesting part. I mentioned that it had bucket seats (not correct for the car) and I remember looking at the transmission and shifter. I thought it looked a little tall and had a "T" shifter handle on it. I didn't think too much of at the time but now I'm thinking it maybe an old custom hot rod. Someone just pulled the engine for the crank but the block and heads are still there if anyone is interested.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

'40 Merc Tudors are very uncommon cars, so there won't be a lot of people looking for body parts. I believe that the block is supposed to be a particularly good basis for a hot flattie, though. 99A?

11. jhmagill

jhmagill

I know the junkyard owner said that the guy that took the crank mentioned it was bored .040 because he also took the pistons. I'm still looking for an idea what the rest of the running gear may be worth.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Stock 40 Mercs didn't have floor shift, so if that is the stock trans it is a 39. But if it was rodded in the past that may have been one of the first things changed.

13. jhmagill

jhmagill

Next time I get out there I'll take pictures of what's left.