Register now to get rid of these ads!

4-speed Muncie 2:56.... Thats what I have

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by awsomeears, Apr 25, 2012.

1. awsomeears

awsomeears

Bought this nova and the Muncie is in it, based of the rebuild sheet of 2011 its a 2:56 Ratio

What can you tell me about this 4-speed ?

Broad question but you gotta ask them :D

2. I think the close ratio were more like 2.2 first gear ratio, so I would guess yours is probably more of a standard wide ratio. Someone with a lot better Muncie knowledge will be able to give better details.

3. Beau

Beau

I'll take it.

4. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I think that's a very early wide ratio M20 Muncie (1964ish?). The later wide ratio M20 would've had a 2.52 low gear. The early one that you have should have a smaller diameter "pin". That is the axle for the lower set of gears in the case. I believe the bigger pin is 1". I'm not sure on your early one, but it's smaller. Probly 7/8". Are the shift levers stud and nut mounted, instead of bolts?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

5. 2.56 is an odd ratio from my Muncie experience. All I've run across or read about have been a 2.20 or 2.52 ratio.

Bob

6. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

2.56 is the number i remember in this old head, mine is 2.20

7. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

'63-'65 wide ratio Muncie has a 2.56 1.91 1.48 1.00 gear ratio

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

A lot of guys like the 2.20 first gear because it's a Corvette trans. Coolness factor aside, the 2.5 first gear is a better ratio choice for a street car. The lower first gear does reduce the transmissions max torque capacity, so that's a trade-off.

Compared to newer transmissions the Muncie has a limited ratio spread. Depending on the rear end ratio that means either having a higher than ideal in first gear ratio, and/or fairly high RPMs on the highway.

Trans life has a LOT to do with how the vehicle is driven. So long as; the trans is in good shape, the engine isn't too powerful for the trans, and so long as you don't try to break it, you won't have a problem.