Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4 Post Lift Trick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Pull would mean to raise the body off from under the drive on rails of the lift. I don't see any other way.

2. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

006 (6).JPG 4 post with two rolling scissor jacks here. They are great and versatile and quick to get 4 wheels off. I have taken them off and used them on the floor also for big 4x4 work that wouldn't fit on my lift.

Kan Kustom, '51 Norm and oldsjoe like this.
  3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I like the acme thread idea also. I just used what I had on hand. I can still raise or lower the whole car with my 18" crescent wrench with the regular all thread. That's how I level the frame on my slightly out of level lift.
    Yeah the lift manufacturer had those when I bought my lift. Two of them were more than the lift! I could barely afford the lift. That's why I came up my "poor boy" method.

gonmad and oldsjoe like this.
  4. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

When I got mine 10 years ago they were only 375 a piece. They are 699 now or pickup at warehouse for 569. Well worth the coin in my book as they work great and are adjustable and very safe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. That is the name of the game, using what is at hand. Acme thread stock is never cheap and almost always hard to come by it seems.

In the last machine shop that I worked we had Brazilian Lathes, made in America, Brazil. LOL I was cutting threads one day and discovered a setting just for cutting Acme Threads, everyone I worked with had at least 6 ft of 3/4" acme treaded shaft. :D

oldsjoe likes this.
  6. jaw22w your lift trick is great, I just built mine and have used it for adjusting my brakes and taking the wight off of the king pins for greasing.
    IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1106.JPG

jaw22w and gonmad like this.
  7. dan31

dan31

I have one sliding jack for my Direct lift but there are times when two would be the ticket. Never wanted to drop the money for another one so your idea makes great sense to me,thanks.

8. I can do this for the rear end to get it off of the deck, and it works good.
    IMG_1136.JPG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Allways cool to see what guys come up with to solve problems.

10. gonmad

gonmad

I bought LED tape lights (that have a peel and stick backing) and ballast from amazon for like $30 to put on the lips of my 4 post. They are crazy bright and I now don’t need a droplight at all anymore. I tried the rope light from Lowe’s, but it wasn’t bright enough so I took it back.

Hamtown Al and fauj like this.
  11. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, some grat ideas here. The LED lights are really bright! I bought some cheapie 4 footers ($15) for the shop and they are great for my tired eyes!

12. Terrible80

Terrible80

13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'm glad some of you guys are able to use this little trick. I use mine all the time.

HemiDeuce likes this.