Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 lug to 5 lug 64 Falcon front end ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blindmule, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

I want to convert one of my cars to 5 lug I have a donor car but what I want to know is do you have to change the steering box also when you swap it over?:confused: What about some part numbers if available parts people around here are like hens teeth:rolleyes:;)

Thanks!

2. Revan

Revan
    from Australia

don't know what your workin with but when i converted my falcon wagon i just used aussie commercial (ute) all i had to swap was the brake drums on the front but the rear had to change the whole diff complete made it stop heaps better bigger drums good luck

3. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

Both are 64 Falcons one is a V8 car! Don't think I can swap just the drums the bearings and all are different sizes (Just a front swap already put a 5 lug 8in.in rear) Yea the 4 lug brakes leave a lot to be desired when stopping :eek:

4. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

If memory serves me correctly, the steering gear, (box), is the same. BUT, all your linkage, including the pitman arm, idler, spindles, etc are different. In other words, get everything. How is the weather down there?

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You have to change the spindles. You may as well upgrade to mid-70s Grenada spindles with disc brakes.

The only difference (in the USA) is the size of the lower ball joint. You can either swap lower control arms or you can buy a sleeve for the ball joint.

If you are upgrading tie rods and center link, then buy '65 parts. They have better geometry with longer tie rods.

6. finn

finn

I've got a set of spindles & drums, complete from a V8 64 Comet that I bought on the auction site but never used. They have no future with my projects. PM me if you're interested.

I don't recall what shipping was when I got them, as they are relatively heavy. I bit the bullet at the time.