Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3spd overdrive question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman41, Jul 4, 2016.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

here goes, i think i seen it on here where someone did a floor shift on a 3spd overdrive trans. i thought at the time it would be pretty hard to get the shift rods over or around the solonoid. if the guy who did this is out there please respond. or any one else done this? by the way i want to do this on my merc.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

thanks squirrel

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I put a 3 speed with overdrive in my avatar. Retained the original rear axle

5. man it's been about 40 years since I installed one in my Studie - the Hurst 3 speed conversion worked just fine...think most like Foxcraft bolted from the top with out an issue with the solenoid...do I need to dig some stuff out ?

6. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I have pictures of a mount I made in one afternoon and had on the floor for about 14 years. I've since gone back to the column but my floor shifter worked very well.

The object is not to just make a bracket but to get the shift lever away from your right leg. Pictures tomorrow, it's late.

7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Not exactly the same scenario but here's the bracket & linkage I made to accommodate a 4 speed Saginaw that I added a Borg Warner R10 to a couple years ago. The floor pan clearance was way tight but it worked out great & is stout. image.jpeg I used a hurst competition plus shifter. One could do the same with a three speed unit. Fab'd up a heavy duty muffler clamp inspired tail housing bracket. image.jpeg
    Then came the side brace....... image.jpeg in car pic "53 Chevy" sedan ..... image.jpeg the linkage was formed out of a hurst competition plus universal kit. My 69 Z28 lent the shifter, coupled to a 55-57 bench seat stick. image.jpeg Even though it's a 4 speed conversion, the 3 speed o/d shifter could be easier done with the absence of an added lever in the way of the lockout cable & lever. Sometimes a pic can jumpstart my brain. Many thanks to Cosmo in the 49 for his past post too. Hope these pics might help. Flux

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Cosmo49 likes this.
  8. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Lol , there he is. thanks Cosmo! Flux

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 6 months ago, I scored a new in the box Fenton shifter for a '49-'53 Ford with overdrive. It looks like you have had some good responses already, but if you need more, I can take some pictures for you. It also has the installation instructions.

10. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Well thought out Flux.

[​IMG]
    My 1/4" steel 'Z' bracket moves the shifter well away from the driver's leg. My arrangement is more forward than Flux', but this is a three speed+od, not a 4sp+od which is more complicated due to the extra reverse rod.

flux capacitor likes this.
  11. 1pickup

1pickup

[​IMG]
    3 speed O.D. in '49 Merc. Old (60's?) N.O.S. shifter, Had to space it away from the trans to clear the O.D. & cut a slot for the speedo cable. Which I opened up more later to avoid binding. Also had to modify the shift arms on the trans.

Attached Files:

12. oldsman41

oldsman41

thanks alot everyone got some good ideas there.