Register now to get rid of these ads!

390 FE In A 50 Merc moore door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FEDER, Oct 11, 2010.

1. FEDER

FEDER

So I got a nice solid 50 Merc 4 dr. Very straight solid car. Hood trunk and door handles are shaved. New nice recovered seats. Desoto grill and a bunch of parts. Ill have the car here after xmas. I have a super good running 62 thunderbird 390 and cruzomatic.
    Would make a good cruiser. I will leave the stock front end in but change out the rear with a 8" ford. Any body done this? Will the front sump pan be an issue?
    THANKS FED

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I haven't done it, but I would be very interested in seeing the finished project. If you are concerned about the front sump. Look for a rear sump pan and pickup out of a mid 70's 4x4 F-150 or Bronco with a 360 or 390. Header clearance may also be tight, but I can't imagine that it would be any harder than any other engine swap.

A friend of mine just picked up a rear sump pan, pickup, and support bracket off E-Pay for $150 for the 390 he is putting in his '40 Ford coupe.

Good luck and post pics when you are done.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  3. Front sump is more than likely going to be an issue. I am probably way off on this but I believe that the truck pan is a rear sump. Or an after markey rear sump pan isn't that high. Moroso makes them in standard and circle track style. The circle track style will give you more room to lower it.

4. k-member

k-member

Dude call Kyle (my bro) he already has the exact thing. It's the old parts car remember. Can't remember what he did to solve the issues.