Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Mercury Steering Wheel vs. 40 Ford Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UNSHINED 2, May 25, 2018.

1. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Can anyone tell me what steering wheels will interchange with a 39 Mercury horn button. What I have is a bastardized 39 Mercury custom car, but a couple of the things I'd like to keep stock is the classic front end, the classic dash, and the classic steering wheel. I need to figure out what steering wheels work with what columns, columns work with what column drops and switches, what steering wheels with which horn buttons. 40 Ford steering wheels are kinda common, but I dont know if they will work with the 39 mercury stuff.

I've looked this stuff up in the Red (Mercury) and Green (Ford) Bibles, but they just list the generic 3600 part number for the wheels for both makes all years up to 48.....

Can anyone help me out here????

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

The 40 Ford wheel will fit and but the 39 Mercury horn/light switch will not fit the 40 Ford wheel. That being said a 40 Mercury horn button will fit in the 40 Ford wheel. I hope this makes sense. Rob

3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

OK, thanks!

I have a 39 Merc Dash and a 39 Merc horn button. So it looks like I have to find a 39 Merc steering column and steering wheel. Or figure a way to modify my 39 Merc horn button/light switch to work in a more common 40 ford wheel. 39 mercury stuff is super hard to find....