Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Mercury ID Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krieger215, May 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Krieger215

Krieger215

Hi everyone. I have acquired my late great uncles 39 Mercury 8. I have attempted to title it here in KY and in order to do so it must be inspected by a sheriff. I took it yesterday and it didn’t pass due to the sheriff not being able to find an ID number. I researched and the only thing I can find is some raised numbers where the engine meets the transmission. I was under the impression that that 1939 mercs had an A-99 in the sequence. I also read that there’s a five digit number that includes 5 point stars before and after the number. The stamping I found start with a letter H which makes me wonder if I’m looking at the right number. I would appreciate any help and sorry for the novel!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look on the top of your frame rail, left side, google is your friend.
    upload_2018-5-12_22-6-43.png

i.rant likes this.
  3. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Depending on the condition of the frame rail (rust, dirt, pits) a wire brush should make the location by the steering box show up. Of course location two and three are under the body----.

4. philo426

philo426

Why woukd they put the number plate in such a hard to reach location?on the firewall would 've been a lot easier.

5. alchemy

alchemy

The complete serial number is also stamped into the top of the transmission case, near where the trans meets the block. There is a rectangular pad cast into the trans up there, and the number is stamped there. Note that the transmissions can be changed over time, so if that number doesn't match the title, it is probably because the trans is not original.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

These are not 'number plates, but stamped directly into the chassis metal.The purpose was to frustrate crooks who would change or obliterate the numbers to conceal a stolen car. The second and third locations were generally not well known and were often referred to as 'confidential numbers' to aid law enforcement.

Ray

7. philo426

philo426