Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '39 Lincoln Zephyr Value??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mendo51, Dec 24, 2013.

1. mendo51

mendo51

Howdy all, I posted earlier looking for a bumper for a Zephyr that I'm buying (thanks to the two fellas who responded...I'm looking forward to the photos). I'm going through with the purchase, but wanted to find out if I priced it okay. I'm paying $8K for a car that had the engine, interior, and wiring done many years ago. The car has no cancer rust and has been stored inside all of these years. Obviously the brakes and carb will need to be redone right away. The rest of the car looks like it mainly needs paint and chrome work done to make it a nice driver quality car. The rubber and glass was replaced all those years ago too....could be dry and cracked by now. The car has been sitting unused all the time it's been in storage. The engine does still turn over.

I'm buying it long distance and have to rely on photos and the owners integrity for verification of quality.

With out posting pics, it's probably hard to tell, but from the hip what are your impressions? A little feed back from others would be helpful.

thanks, Mendo

2. I assume 4 dr sedan, otherwise you are getting a steal if a coupe. $8K still seems great price for no rust stored inside, with a rebuilt V-12, wiring and interior. Engine is not stuck, that is a good sign and you should be able to get it to run. V-12 parts not so common, but if it is all there it makes more labor and not cost.

Assuming the seller is honest and the pics you have are accurate representation of the car it seems good deal to me.

3. mendo51

mendo51

Yes...a 4 door sedan (I forgot to mention that). I've sort of ruled out the possibility of affording a coupe. $5-10K is my budget for any car. I have been wanting one of these cars for a while and got worried that I was over looking something in my desire for it.

thanks, for the thumbs up...

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Don't ever buy a car without seeing it in person.

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

ok don't rely on the owners honesty. find some one close to look at the car before you buy it. that sounds a little to good to be true even a 4 door. there is companys that do inspections for you not cheap but probably a safe thing to do or look at it yourxself.

6. mendo51

mendo51

That's a good idea. Do you know of a company that you can refer? I do plan to bring cashier's checks with me and pay after looking...it's just that I will be traveling 1200 miles by plane to look at it and it's hard to back out at that point. I guy would sort of feel committed at that point.

thanks, Mendo

7. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

Mendo51, 8 grand sounds like a fair price for what you described. Good luck I hope it meets your expectations. And of course merry Christmas!