Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Ford Transmission locks up when mounting front retainer

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, Oct 1, 2015.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hi fellow Hambers,

i have a problem with my 39 trans:
    when i mount the front retainer with the oil seal in my transmission, it locks up.
    I think with the 78-7050 i have the right retainer. Without seal everything is fine.
    The seal is according to the seller 78-7052 and should be correct , although i think it looks a bit tight in its place.

Anyone have an idea?

thank you
    Jan

2. alchemy

alchemy

Mac Van Pelt is your man. Ask him and he'll get you straightened out.

3. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Mac is the man, however if the input is hitting the seal, hard enough to lock up the tranny, som ting wong! My initial thought is the input is not seated properly in the front bearing. Regardless Mac will know.

4. Have you checked the needles where the main shaft enters the input shaft? maybe one is sideways

Hnstray likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My first thought too ........

Ray

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^ Also my first thought, great minds think alike.

7. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

Front and rear roller bearings reversed?

8. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

78-7050 with the seal, is correct for the 39 trans. 78-7052 is the correct ford seal for this retainer. Is the front bearing inner snap rings in place properly, the front bearing outer snap ring should sit flat against the case without the retainer in place. As a side note: Do make sure the outer snap ring is the correct thickness to fill the recess in the retainer or the bearing can move in & out effecting shifting.
    37-40 Ford Transmission front bearing retainer seal 78-7052: Victor 46410, Nat 5872S, CR 13569, Dichtomatik TCM 132032SA-BX
    2.00” OD x 1.372 shaft x 0.318 thick

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. FlatJan

FlatJan

thanks for all that responses!
    checked the bearings, they are ok..
    the front snap ring also seems to be right in place. but thanks 48-760 for all that great additional info!
    i´ll check the needles although i gotta say that the input/output-shaft can be rotated easily many times without seal. When i press the seal onto the retainer and mount it to the tranny that thing is stuck. so i guess somethings wrong here..
    now i bought my third seal ´cause they get destroyed when dismountig :/.
    i will measure it on the input-shaft and to see if it really fits with the retainer.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Are you using bolts so long that they are up against the gear?

11. Mac VP

Mac VP

I'm assuming that you've figured out how to press the seal in all the way so that it seats correctly in the pocket. Question: when it is all assembled, does the snap ring on the OD of the front ball bearing sit flush up against the gearbox case?

If so, please tell us what gears you've replaced if any. Be specific on what you replaced.

If not, something is preventing the main drive gear and bearing from seating all the way in place (wrong roller bearing, synchro ring not aligned with the synchro inserts, incorrect snap ring at the front of the synchro hub, etc).

I have an idea on this but need more info to confirm.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

Mac, Thank you for the information on your website

warbird1 likes this.
  13. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I had the same problem.Took the tranny apart at least a million times(actually only half a millian) and it turned out to be the synchro rings.I swapped them out and everything was fine.I don't remember where i got them but they were out of spec.. I think i put in some good used ones or some NOS ford and the problem was solved.Hope this helps,Bob

14. alchemy

alchemy

Dennis Lacy shows the same problem that Jailhouse prolly had in his pickup's transmission rebuild. He had to machine the brass rings a bit to make them fit OK.

15. FlatJan

FlatJan

ok so it was the badly pressed in seal. for the third one i turned myself an installationtool and it worked out great - tranny rotates easily as it should!
    WP_20151121_002.jpg
    WP_20151121_003.jpg
    WP_20151121_006.jpg
    WP_20151121_008.jpg
    thanks all!

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't want to be a stick in the spokes, but...I can't see well enough in the pics so are you sure the seal is in in the right direction; lip edge facing towards bearing..

17. FlatJan

FlatJan

well. good question. i was told the round side of the seal housing goes first inside the retainer so...that correct??!?

18. BJR

BJR

Looks backwards to me also.

19. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

m. Yep

20. FlatJan

FlatJan

ok.. so i´ll be using my tool a second time :confused: