Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "39" Ford Trans: choosing the right gearset question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Dec 9, 2020.

1. I am doing a TROG/pre-war race car kind of build this winter and have collected most of the parts.
    I am at the transmission stage. I have a 3 speed top loader and the best I can tell it is a later unit (78-7006 5 Casting)
    Looking over the VanPelt's pages I am pretty sure I have the 29 tooth gearset (1st 3.114, 2nd 1.773, 3rd 1to1)
    My question is;
    Is this the best gear set choice of the 3 or 4 available options for my intended use?
    here are the build particulars...
    23T roadster on an A frame
    '46 59ab w/ twin 97's (stock cam and bottom end)
    40 ford closed drive banjo, gear ratio unknown at this time... i also have a 37 rear. I haven't dug into either of them yet to see which is in the best shape.
    Intended use for the car is TROG, Jalopy showdown/vintage circle track days, and then street use.
    This is all for fun, I have no desire to go down the "being competitive" money pit.
    As always, thanks for the input.
    Chappy

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i cant tell you about racing, but on the street i always go with the 28 tooth set as i believe the ford 1st gear is too low anyways. unless at a dead stop on a hill, i am usually starting in 2nd if rolling at all in a light car

Automotive Stud and stillrunners like this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thoughts on the LZ for a street cruiser?

4. I looked at that as an option... I think just the gear set was $500+... and I have the 15 tooth gear... which I think I would have to change to the 14 to make it work...
    Chappy

5. Vern Tardel put out a neat little book using the later 46/48 car gears in the early cases.........

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for the best combination of reasonable price and overall condition. I really don't think there is a discernable "seat of the pants" difference in your situation. Since they all end up with a 1:1 high gear, that's going to determine the top speed (unless you really blow the final drive ratio). Save your money for a quick-change and have fun!:D

BTW, I put a set of '46-48 gears in a '39 box (new synchronizers) and really liked the results. (This was in a '36 3-window with a 276" Merc.)

Chappy444 likes this.
  7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You are not going to have much power so just about any gear set will do.
    The 29's are the weakest. The 25's are the strongest.
    Put the car together with what you have and run it, then if you want to go faster change to something else.

8. Thanks all,
    As thus is a budget build I will probably take @Pete1 advice and run the pile of part I have and see what breaks first...lol
    Thanks again all,
    Chappy