Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Ford 1/2 ton chassis choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davey_shumard, Oct 21, 2010.

1. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

I recently purchased a 39 ford 1/2 ton pickup. the only issue is that it is only the tin, in very good condition and all there I might add. thus, i have no chassis for it to call home. I was wondering if anyone here has done a frame swap on this particular model, (i'm sure someone has), and if they would maybe have some insight on what is the best choice for chassis to start with, and how to go about fitting it. Any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance for helping out a lowly FNG!

2. Heo

Heo

same chassie on the passenger car except for the riveted
    bodymounts outside the rails on the pass car and wood
    blocks betwen the cab and frame

3. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

interesting. i was thinking more along the lines of, new chassis i.e. S10 Ranger or something, but if i could find one of these that would be cool too. thanks a bunch!

4. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I have a '39 sitting on an original frame. A buddy wants the truck, and has the idea of setting it on a S-10 frame that he already has. Probably be okay if you are going full fendered, but as a high boy, there is an ugly bow in the s-10 frame behind the front wheel that would have to come off. Other than that it seems like a pretty slick swap. There is a thread here about it.

5. use an original `35-`40 Ford frame , they fit the best. then update the suspension with a dropped axle and a 8 or 9 inch rear on parallel leaf springs. then you will have something you can be proud of. you will get a lot of guys that will tell you to put it on a S-10 , but in my opinion all you end up with is a lot of work and a POS

6. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

does anyone know what the differences between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton of the same year would be? is it just a heavier spring or is the actual frame itself different?

7. Ask 55 dude about his experience trying to fit the S10 frame to his truck. My '38 went exactly as 36-3window suggests. And I believe all 35-40 car and 'commercial' (Fordspeak for the half ton) truck frames are interchangeable, the convertible had some extra mounting tabs. The one ton frame is different though. The biggest issue with frame swaps on the '38-39 trucks is that the grille, fender fillers and fenders, along with several smaller shrouds, all key into the radiator. The radiator of course bolts to tabs on the frame. It is a real bitch getting the geometry to work if those tabs aren't there.

8. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

so the 3/4 ton frame is the same as 1/2 ton?

the 1 ton is the only one that is different?

9. I believe that is the case. I'm not sure there even was a 3/4 ton. I'm going off memory here but it seems like the one ton had about a 5" longer wheelbase. I keep thinking 112" vs 117" but I don't have that info here at my fingertips.

10. big bad john

big bad john

Go with 35 to 40 frame...........lot easier and will sell faster if you do it right........I have a friend that has a 39 truck with stock frame(mustang front end and leaf springs) rides and handles great....you can't go wrong.....good luck

11. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Davey,

'40 3/4 and 1 ton frames are the same and are different from car and 1/2 ton (commercial). Fenders and grill are different between 1/2 ton and the larger trucks. The 1/2 ton looks similar to a 39 deluxe car.

Sorry I posted info for the wrong year. The frames for the car and 1/2 pickup (Commercial) are the same. If you have sheet metal for a 1/2 ton it will fit any car frame from 35 to 40. You will need to remove any car specific brackets from the rails. Any commercial 1/2 ton from 35 to 41 will fit. There were no 3/4 ton trucks shown for 39 just 1 ton. See the attached reference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  12. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

i have also read that all you have to do to put a pickup on a car chassis is remove certain body mounts for the car, then create body mounts to adapt the pickup to the car chassis. any truth to this?

13. 6 bolts attach the cab to the frame passing through the top of the frame rails and 8 bolts attach the bed, also through the top of the frame rails. There is a wood spacer that fits between the cab and the top of the rail under the cab. It can be purchased from several suppliers. Tough to make yourself unless you have a pattern to work from. I don't know if the body tabs for the cars pose much of an interference issue. They aren't used on the truck.

14. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

my mistake, thanks.

15. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Initially I made a mistake on the year in post 12. Please see the added info. I hope this helps you.

16. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

thanks a bunch!

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Anybody have info on much heaver 39 trucks ? I have the body off what was a long wheelbase 2 1/2 or 5 ton flat bed. I'm trying to find ser # info on what the frame # would look like. I can't even find a reference that mentions the big trucks over 1 ton.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

19. Vandy the 1/2 tons have the serial # on the top of the left rail near the fire wall in most cases. They have a star followed by the numbers and then another star at the end. If the transmission is still in it there is supposed to be the serial number stamped in the top of the trans case near the front but I never found any numbers on mine. I'd assume the heavier trucks would be similar.

20. metalman

metalman

Back to the original topic we have a guy near here trying to sell a 35 ford pu. Really nice dressed up flathead, C4 auto, runner, just needs paint & upolstery. I think the highest offer he's gotten is 5 grand. Reason: He opted to throw away his original frame and put it on a late model Ranger. Sits goofy and looks WRONG, body is raised up to clear the frame humps, nothing fits right. Another guy has a 36 PU on an late model something frame (minitruck?), at a standstill cause he can't figure out how to make his grill, fenders clear the steering box. Find a 35/40 frame and upgrade it, IT will be worth it in the long run!

21. djmk52

djmk52
    from norfolk va

an old school frame to use is the '61-'64 chev impala frame