Register now to get rid of these ads!

39-48 Juice brakes V Lincoln Bendix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat bastad, May 22, 2013.

1. Anyone gone from 39-48 juice brakes to Lincoln hyd brakes?

How much better was the braking and re adjustments. Im aware the Lincolns are self energizing and require less adjustment.

This is for a Deuce roadster....

Thanx!!

2. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Was one of my Father's favorite swaps. In about '51 our '39 went Bendix when he dumped the wide fives. The '41 pickup went Bendix on the front soon thereafter. Both were easy and cheap to do at that time. When I got my first '40 in the earliest sixties, Pop would not see me driving with those Ford/Lockheed brakes. Again was almost a direct replacement except for the spindles that need a massage. Recently my '47 coupe got the Bendix treatment on the front with almost the expected improvement. Had some trouble pulling. Probably a bad job of centering. Pulling went away after a few hundred miles. The reproduction brakes are easier to fit to early spindles than the Lincolns. A set is standing by for my current '40. A better brake would be so much more work. Good Luck: Fred A

3. Thanx Fred....I know they'll be better but was wondering to what degree.

Kinda answers the qun.

Anyone else done this swap and what was the degree of braking improvement, espin a lighter car?

BTT

Last edited: May 22, 2013

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I put Lincoln brakes on my 37 Ford pickup in 1982 and on my Model A about 8 years ago. I added the self adjusting parts too. I put Bendix brakes on my 1947 Mercury in the 70s (bought this car in 1967 and still have it) and the 39 Ford truck that I have driven every day for 17 years. I put them on my 35 Ford pickup too. I add the self adjusters to everything i drive.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It was the progression of design changes from one era to another. Sometimes the change isn't readily felt as much different... but it is.