Register now to get rid of these ads!

39-48 chevy steering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54cruzer, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

My original steering box on my 46 fleetline is pretty sketchy at higher speeds(with the 2'73 rear, it likes to cruise at 70 and has radial tires) I know it is the box everything stays still but the steering wheel moves from side to side a bit. I tried the adjustment nut, but it just makes it clunky/bindy not tighter, so I think the gear is worn? Has anyone rebuilt one of these? Did it go smoothly and help, Where did you get the COMPLETE kit? (chevies of the 40's just shows the seals/bearings)
    I searched but couldn't find the thread about adapting a later manual box??
    I don't think I want to go rack and pinion.

2. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

I found the saginaw box conversion info on the Inliners international site. Anyone done this?
    Still interested in rebuiding the original too.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Worm and tube and sector gears used to be easy to find at swapmeets but that is ancient history. Best bet is to try all the Chevy parts vendors who specialize in restoration stuff rather than hotrod oriented parts. They'll have the connection on that. Try the VCCA. Vintage Chevrolet Club of America too.

4. 24riverview

24riverview

If you're talking about the adjustment on top of the steering box there is a lot more to it than that. Your internal components may be fine I'd try the adjustment procedure shown here- http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/4247csm901.htm
    This is much easier to do with the box out of the car but if you still have the full length column you may not want to remove it.

5. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Wow, my dumbass never even saw those other adjustments! I' been in there a thousand times? I'll give that procedure a try, I think it might work because the steering is not that sloppy. It's neat how they used to make things more serviceable.