Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville... Part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. flash

flash

Ditto! for the past few weeks I've been feeling this strange aching, longing, empty feeling inside...just realized it's because I did not go to B-ville this year.

3. Uhhhh, "no blazing sun"?????? Maybe in bizzaro Austin. Glad y'all got back safe homie.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

YES. It IS unreal. Isn't it great? Doesn't the whole experience just make you smile in amazement?? :)

Good to see you out there. Next weekend - HAMB Drags!

Malcolm
    (some coverage of the event HERE)

5. Church

Church
    from South Bay

And how much extra did they charge you for all the salt in your rental?

I find it hard to believe that ANY car guys first trip to Bonneville will be his last. It's an addiction that I never saw coming. Mecca. All hail Bonneville and the speed merchants who attack it..........yet respect it all the same.

6. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

I have never been interested in racing my entire life. Just collected old cars. Then about 14 years ago, a friend convinced me to go with him & be on his crew. WOW It was the most amazing experince ever in my little car world!!! I have only missed 1 year in those 14 years. 3 years ago I got the chance to drive a car & that was the icing on the cake. I drove 2 years & I think I am hooked for life!. No car to drive this year, was kind of a let down. Might be time to build my own car.! If you get the chance to go, do it. If you get to crew, that's the way to really see it all !

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm pretty beside myself too Ryan. Of coarse I had to take the po-boys seat and watch form the side lines instead of riding shotgun in the push truck so I can only imagine what that's like.

The whole experience really made feel like I was finally part of this long line of tradition. Before I got there I went to car shows or drag races but I always considered myself a spectator. At Bonneville, even though I was not racing down the salt, standing on the earth at that location made me feel connected. it was like standing on Gettysburg Battle Ground or a perhaps next to the Wailing Wall. It was a journey to the Holy Land even though it may sound hoky. I really came to terms with just how bad this sickness I have is on those two days. I could have laid in the Salt for weeks making Salt Angels.

Here is a shot of mine that makes me feel extremly insignificant compared to the suroundings.

[​IMG]

It was good as usual talking to you Ryan. Sorry if I seemed standoffish, I was pretty overwhelmed with everything that was going on.

8. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Can't wait for Part Two.......Hope to experience the same some day.....can feel your excitement and your awe........Thanks

9. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I was last there in '06...need to get back! Sunrise on the salt is almost a religious experiance...

10. Ahh yes and the aroma !!! Salt,race fuel,exhaust fumes,methanol,gear lube,and nitro !!! Along with the Location it's Perfume to a Gear-Heads Nose !!! >>>>.

11. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

the best i can compare this to, is the Journey to MECCA for hot rodders. there is nothing else that exemplafies the sprit we try to capture here, than walking through the Pits at Speed Week. I never met a team that was unwilling to talk or show you something.

12. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

Spiritual doesn't even scratch the surface for me. It is truly an incredible place. It was good to meet you out there as well and see it affecting you the way that it did. Bet money I'll run into you out there next year...

13. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Someday, man! Someday! I dreamt of going since I was a kid! Can't wait for part two!

14. i am thinking about going next year in celabration of my 40th year
    could not think of a better way to celebrate -bonneville is to hotrodders what hawii is to surfers

15. Ryan ...

I attended my first Speed Week in 1970 (at the age of 9) and have made the trek to the Salt a dozen or so times since ... I'll fully admit that I'm not the gifted word-smith that you are ... but I've never been able to express in words what "Salt Fever" is really all about.

I have read many a book on the subject ... have taken and looked at thousands of photographs ... and have viewed dozens of YouTube video clips, TV shows, documentaries, and Hollywood movies ... but none really capture what it's actually like to be standing on the Salt during a LSR event.

No pressure ... but I'm really looking forward to your Friday Blog :)

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

You know, it's a funny experience. I dreamt about Bonneville after the first time I read about it in 5th grade and when I got there years later it was an experience that couldn't be quantified in English.

This year I helped introduce a handful of people to the salt, a few who've live in Utah their whole lives without knowing about Bonneville.

I cannot wait to see what you write on Friday.

My only wish that wasn't fulfilled this season was to meet more HAMBers. Especially knowing so many were there and probably rubbing elbows with me. I missed the meet and greet and was too preoccupied dragging my pops and little brother around to see what it's all about. My dad, for the first time, finally gets what I'm so interested in. I think he'll be coming back for more, for sure.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Makes me want to go... and i might even have an idea for a winning motor

18. kiwiboy

kiwiboy

Like Ryan it was my first trip to Bonneville...exactly the same result, words are hard to find. Apart from the salt/cars/speed experience I was struck how friendly everyone was & how accessible the cars & their crews where. Example, first morning 5:30 am we getting coffee, older dude comes up " you racing ...., no, just spectating etc etc Me what about you? I'm running a Harley blah blah" Later in the pits meet him again with his buddy, help them through tech. Harley looks like a rich doctors ride, stock & lots of chrome. Over the next couple of days, meet & chat. Meet his son later on day 2, hey how's it going, good...Dad's just taken his World Record to 154 mph, WHAT.. find out it's the fastest stock appearing street Harley in the world, did not know, just hung out with them because they where interesting guys. Meet guys/gals from Europe, Aussie, NZ, Canada & every US state, funny... a English guys says to me "this is so cool, hey...can you kick me in the nads please? I cannot believe i'm here" :cool::D:D

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Bonneville is truly a life changing experiance for many people. Myself included. I don't really understand the spectator experiance. But it is great spectating. Just better particapating.

20. silent rick

silent rick

i wish it were closer. 1500 miles/24 hours of driving from here. do you think the state of utah will trade the flats for the indianapolis motor speedway?

21. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I want to go soooo bad. definitely on my bucket list but I intend on doing everything i can to get there far before that. Maybe in the next few years. I know that once I go I'm going to want to turn my truck into a salty dog for the flats. We'll see.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love Indy. The first lap of the Indy 500 is a life changing experience as well... Even now... There is just something about it.

Bonneville, however, is different... Form follows function... And it happens right there before you. It's such a huge and expansive space, but somehow these little cars go out there and dominate it. It's hard to realize what you are seeing and feeling.

23. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

I got home late monday night from the salt,woman had to go to work i cant quit thinking about it just might have to go back in the morning

24. silent rick

silent rick

yeah, i know. i would have to think long and hard on the trade. alot of emotion and history to both places. it spills over to all parts of indiana. the cobe cup in crown point was the predecessor to the 500 and hammond had the roby speedway. nichels is in griffith. the 500 is indiana.

25. woodbox

woodbox

Looking forward to Friday now Ryan. This is one trip thats definatley on the list, but I dont want to do it without a car there.....so I better get my butt into gear!!

26. leftcoast66

leftcoast66
    from Duvall

Thanks for the words there Ryan. I'm always lurking but just wanted to say thanks. Grown up around cars and been a gearhead since I was born, but between reading the rodders journal and lurking on here these last 2 or so years, I've finally got a direction. My truck's never been finished for that very reason, too many ideas and no direction, and because of you guys I finally have one. Hopefully with no college next year I'll be able to get out there and meet some of you guys and see it all unfold.

27. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Bonneville truly is a life changing event. You can't help but be bombarded by sights and sounds, but also a deep reverence for all that has happened there. Images of all the blood, sweat, tears and lives that have been pounded into the salt. Victories, tragedies, they all flood in along with the sounds of engines built and designed for one thing and one thing only. Going fast.
    Stand next to a flathead Belly tank Lakester that has been a predator of the salt for the last 40 years. Listen to it's high strung flathead being fed by 25lbs of boost from it's supercharger and revving up to 6800RPM. It is in it's song that you will hear it. Bonneville's anthem.

28. seatex

seatex

I have to jump in here with the opinion of most who, like I, just experienced their first trip to the salt.
    There truly are no words that can adequately describe the connection of man, machinery, and the incredible beauty of the Salt Flats.
    Spiritual, absolutely, instantly addictive, no doubt.
    The feeling of kinship, and love of speed from everyone I had the pleasure to meet was enough to keep me going back, hopefully every year..........
    I highly recommend it to everyone. jb

p.s. Read the small print if you get a rental car in Salt Lake City, minimum $300.00 charge for driving off a paved surface (read:Salt Flats :eek::eek::eek:

29. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I got to Speed Week the first time (2001) when I was forty-nine; I'm still pissed it took me so long.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The first time I saw Bonneville in a R & C magazine I knew that must be great. It's been quite a while since my first trip to speedweek. Comming over the hill to see the salt laid out in front of you will always be exciting. Alone in the car when he gives you the visor flip signel will always be the begining of the most pure experiance I will ever do. Foot down, line going on forever. Nothing else exists but me, the car and the salt.