Register now to get rid of these ads!

385 fastburner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mysteryman, Apr 21, 2011.

1. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a crate motor called the 385 fastburner.its at the machine shop being refreshened and upgraded to above 400 hp as i post this.are these good motors??i have a 64 chevy truck i thought of putting it in.i still pull my car trailer with this truck didn't know how this motor would work.times are tight right now didn't want spend $1000 then realize not what i need.all comments welcomed.thanks for the help on the 427 mystery motor intake posted yesterday.learned very much.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. Deuces

Deuces

You might want to delete "ratrod" from your post..

3. OK so you got a rattled out '64 Chebby and you want to put an engine in it and want to know of you are putting a good engine in it.

I believe that fastburn refers to the heads not the entire engine.

No way to know of your 400 hp engine will be a good engine in your truck or not. I had a 400+ hp small block in my '65 beater. It mad ea little over 440 lb ft of torque and had a very broad flat power band. it wokrd just fine for me.

That said not knowing how the machine shop is gaining your HP and what sort of torque is made and where in the RPM range your particular engine makes that torque it is impossible to make a judgement on whether it is a good fit for your old hooptie or not.