Register now to get rid of these ads!

38 Ford Coupe questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mootz, Oct 27, 2005.

1. hemisedan

hemisedan

Being a 38 STANDARD guy, your 37 really looks nice. Everybody is right about getting the stance, just right. That can make or break a car. I was looking for a 35 - 39 Mopar, but those guys were out of their minds with their prices, and then they were missing so many hard to find parts. At least with Ford, there are guys like Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter for good re pro parts. Anyway, I found my 38 tudor here in Iowa. It's been a long build process, that is kind of merger between 1961 look and modern updates. As for running without a hood or side panes, well on 38's the side panel is really part of the grill, up front. In my case, I went with a 57 Dodge baby hemi. It's the D-500 with the dinky 273 Mopar AFB's that are about 350 cfm. With that motor in it, it would be nice to run without a hood, or side panels, but it's a 38.

I don't know if you bought that 38 coupe, but if you did, hopefully along the way you did some pictures. That would be nice to see.
    Picture 081.jpg
    /Users/olgasansenbach/Desktop/Picture 081.jpg

2. hemisedan

hemisedan

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Theres a help area here that gives you the instructions.
    The 37 has actually been changed some over the years.
    Check out my past posts on this and my album.

Attached Files:

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Most, if not all, of the pictures posted here are of 38 DeLuxe and 37 Ford rather than the 38 Standard mentioned in the beginning.
    The 38 Deluxe/39 Standards have the parrot's beak hoods while the 37 and 38 Standard have the flat pointed hoods.

5. hahaha this post is 5 years old........and my '36 barely moved forward.

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's correct. Here is a '38 Standard:

[​IMG]

Very swoopy and Art Deco, not quite to Spirit of Motion ("Shark Nose") Graham territory, but very up-to-the-minute for the second half of the 1930s, which probably explains the lack of popularity in the postwar era. Things that are very current tend to be very out once their time has passed.

This is why pastel paint, crayon graphics, and 15-inch Boyds wheels are laughable today, but American mags and solid black will always be good looking. If you're never in style, you can never be out of style.

I really like the '38 Deluxe and the '39 Standard myself, preferably in Tudor form.

-Dave

Edit: I think "fad" was the word I was searching for with that long-winded diatribe. Streamline moderne was a fad that had passed by the 1950s.

7. Hell, I bought, built, drove, & sold one since this all started.

5 years later, I like a Standard coupe a lot more than I did before.

JH

8. hemisedan

hemisedan

Picture 081.jpg (140.6 KB)
    Picture 081.jpg (140.6 KB)

Don't know if these can be opened or not, but here's trying. 38 Standard tudor sedan with Dodge hemi.

Attached Files:

9. lost-boy

lost-boy
    from Cologne

I have a 38 deluxe cpe. what do you thing of top chopping these cars. Does anyone have pics?

10. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Here is one I have been working on. Title says it is a 1937 but has 38 nose, also has front clip from tri-five Chevy, Camaro posi rear hung with Chassis Engineering kit. Car is an old hot rod that had 283 motor with Offenhauser intake with three 94 carbs and turbo 350 trans.

Attached Files:

11. I've never seen a '37 - '40 coupe that looked good chopped. That's my opinion.

Some take the drip rails off and that ruins the flowing body lines.