The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wensum Valley Rods, Jul 28, 2012.
looks amazing paul, nice work.
I've wondered about running smaller wheel / tire combos on the rear to get some more drop. They are mostly covered by the skirts. What's your thought on that?
Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
i have a 46 in very similar condition good luck with it.maybe one day ill have more love to give to mine.haha
you have done some great work
A lot of the 39/9 zephyrs have been changed over to 15" rims for that very reason, but as mine is a 37 and has the wide five stud pattern wheels (which I wanted to keep) I ran with the 16s and kept the stock size 700/16" tyres as to me they look a lot better in the arches and help with the rear end gear ratio as I'm still running the stock three speed transmission.
You are right in thinking that on the rear they would not notice under the skirts.For me though that would mean running two spares.
37 Zephyr is one of my all time favorite cars, I've loved the mean grill & long swooping fastback of it since I was a little kid (and that was a long time ago!). I read your thread checking out all your pics, you did an amazing job, and all in such a short time, I'm very impressed! I hope I can get my hands on a Zef coupe someday!
Subtract 25% for us Yanks, Paul! Your Imperial Gallons are a wee bit larger than our colonial gallons.
Is there not some sort of additional or better weather seal you can fit to retain the clean look? I realize running without drip rails is more practical in, say, Arizona, whereas the UK sees more than its fair share of wet weather....
Hey Ernie, how goes it mate ?
Funny you should mention the drip rails and seals, I really don't want to re install any drip rails and have been messing around with door seals this week and I think I may have sorted something out that will work. I will fit the seals and spray with a hose and see what happens. It's in the shop at the moment as I am still making rear shock mounts for it and tackling lots of the small jobs that need doing.
Got the front bumper off and stripped the old chrome off and eased out (hit with very BFH ) a couple of dents. Going to weld up the bolt holes and mount hidden bolts on the rear and then get them chromed or powder coated depending on which is cheaper. Money has run out and I have to rebuild the engine before next season yet.
Should have all the garnish moldings and door cards finished soon, it's beginning to look finished even if it's not .
I'm good, Paul! Gutted I missed Pendine - may have to make time for it next year on a trip over.
Nothing for me car wise in a while - work has kept me busy.
Hope you can sort something with some better seals - most modern cars don't have drip rails, so surely there's something out there that can be made to work! I know you'll sort it if it's possible!
I haven't been happy with the way the front and rear number plates looked since I fitted them. They were put on in a hurry so I could get it on the road with the intention of sorting something more fitting later, well that time is here.
I spent the last couple of evenings welding up the bumper bolt holes and fitting studs on the back of the front bumper and making a number plate surround using some over riders that I had lying around.
Just got to finish cleaning it up and then get it plated or chrome powder coated depending on cost as money is tight and my engine needs a build badly.
The end result is pretty much what I wanted and I think keeps in flow with the late forties custom look that I'm after.
I intend to do something similar with the rear bumper next.
Great improvement. I still can't believe what you have done with this car.
Yea, much better. Love the car and the build...
37 Zephyr reborn * Great work
I have this same build thread going on another closed forum I am on and a mate posted jokingly on there about making some covers for the bumper irons. Well this got me thinking and as I agreed that the irons looked a bit agricultural and needed altering.
I spent a couple of hours and came up with these last week, they still need finishing and will either be painted body colour or chromed.
I'm also making some for the rears as well.
Those bumper bracket covers were a wonderful idea and look great, my vote is for chroming them
x2 for chrome! Look great Paul!
Also started making the new bumper guards for the rear bumper. Still have some work on them and will also weld up the bolt holes in the bumper and fit hidden bolts same as the front.
Wow! Those iron covers are cool, I vote to chrome them.
Whats your plan for those indicator lights?
Enjoyed this thread greatly . Thanks Paul and Bev . By the way the bumper bracket covers are a work of art themselves . Excellent design, will look good chromed .
Those covers look great!
You've taken junk and turned it into art, Ol' Chap. Brilliant, mate. Excellent work.
looks killer Paul keep up the good work, cant wait to see what next your turning out from the garage
Took this with the Box Brownie Paul…
That is really ace
Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
That's the best one yet Phil,very period looks like it was taken way back when.
What a car, fantastic restoration. Great inspiration for all of us slackers with to many projects.
Hey Gaz your'e not alone my friend, I have way to many (if that's possible) projects on the go, got 6 more cars of our own that all need work. Ranging from total rebuilds to just maintenance .
Really amazing work done here, especially from what you began with and now in it's current state. A little over 2 years amazing! Excellent work!
Thanks for the comments MUNCIE,
It's only been 17 months since it docked on our shores and I collected it. It actually took almost exactly a year to get it road ready and just over that to get the registration completed so I could use it.
I know time flies but not that quick.
Separate names with a comma.