Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 DeSoto bumper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbh, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jbh

jbh

Has anyone ever tried to flatten (straighten) a rear 37 DeSoto bumper?
    Is it even possible?
    Thanks ,Jay

2. 4woody

4woody

You mean the curve is wrong as viewed from above?

What do you want to do exactly? Is it damaged, or you want to put it on something else?

3. your probably talking about taking the curve out of the bumper to fit another gravel pan shape, could be done but if your car doesn't fit curve won't save the headache a get some briz bumpers they are already flat. Also you risk ruining a good bumper that can go on a period custom with it as is.

4. I've done it in a press. Remember those old bumpers are spring steel and it's just like flattening a leaf spring. I use large blocks of wood (4x4s) and lay out marks every 3 to 4 inches. The trick is to press it the same amount each time...L.B.

5. jbh

jbh

Yep, have a pair and would like them both to have the shape of the front one. (like everyone else) Thanks, Jay

6. NOAH324

NOAH324

I had it done to mine at a local bumper/chrome shop (Denver Bumper)...
    Brought it in and told them what I wanted to do...the front desk guy wasn't sure they could do it..then they brought out a little Mexican guy that has been working there for like 20 years and he says 'no problem'...!
    Not sure how he did it but he matched it up to the other bumper perfectly. I think they had to shorten it too (It'll be longer that the other bumper after straightening).
    Sounds like nostalgia59 has it figured out.
    You'll end up with bumpers about 1 million times cooler than those Briz bumpers.

7. jbh

jbh

Great! What I needed to know. The plater already has my welded & smoothed front bumper. I'll take the rear to him and let him have at it. Then I can figure how to carve a 49 Chev guard to fit. Thanks, Guys, Jay

8. kustoman

kustoman

I have had a pair of DeSoto bumpers tucked away and have just been working through the same ideas over the last few weeks, so this post has been very timely, much appreciated.