Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 37 bumpers/bumper brackets on a 35 custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom_lettering, Jul 8, 2016.

1. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking for info on 37 bumpers and bumper brackets to be used on my 35 3/w custom. Being the frames are the same I would think that 37 bumpers and brackets would just be an easy bolt on with maybe a little modification to the body where the brackets come through. Am I right?
    And is the 37 front bumper straighter then the rear? I would use a 37 front on the rear of my 35 if it is. Thanks

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The front bumpers are curved as a frown. The backs are curved as a smile.
    I believe one is no straighter than the other.
    I have a front 35 with brkts available in case you decide otherwise.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Petejoe...thank you for the help.

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I did exactly what you're planning on my '36. I used '37 fronts at both ends. In the front, the '37 brackets will work perfectly, but in the back the bumper mountings on the frame are completely different from '35/'36 to '37. My body guy made me some custom brackets to fit the '37 front bumper to my '36 rear; I don't remember with certainty but he may have made them from a pair of '37 brackets. Here's how it turned out:

!Marina500Hi.JPG
    !DRD57@DelMar04.JPG
    DRD57 Photo

Obviously the 2 pictures were taken some time apart, when the car was in 2 different styles.

55hdyman likes this.

5. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

50fraud that's exactly what I'm looking to do. Thank you.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You're most welcome. I thought it was quite a successful swap, and I'm happy to see somebody else doing it.

7. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

50fraud would you happen to have a pic that shows the back bumper brackets? Are they going threw to the frame or stay outside the body like 35/36? Thanks

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the bumper brackets at all. If memory serves, we used my existing '36 rear brackets, and my body guy reshaped the outer portion of them (the part outside the body) to fit the '37 front bumper. I got the repop bumpers and front brackets from Rock Valley in Illinois.

9. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Perfect!!! Thanks again.