Register now to get rid of these ads!

37-38 brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bgaro, Feb 24, 2013.

1. bgaro

bgaro

who's got info on these mechanical brakes. i'm trying to put together a wide five set up. are the actuators available, i see wheel cylinders everywhere but have not seen the mechanical version.

2. You can run hydraulics with those drums,also e-bay has some mechanical brakes parts.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you planning on running mechanical brakes, or looking to get "on the juice"?

4. bgaro

bgaro

i have the mechanical backing plates, but the actuators are junk. i think i wanna try cable.

5. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I have a complete 37 Ford Pickup setup of Mechanical brakes...

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just sent you a PM, please help fund my Roadster. Bob

7. flat-v8

flat-v8

I removed my '38 cables for hydro setup, they were in great condition, now I wish I would have kept them, mainly because they stay the same after a long storage, juice brakes have problems when sitting for long time. I always thought mechanical brakes sucked, but they are actually pretty good if adjusted.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Dot 5 brake fluid can sit for years and every thing still works

9. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

HAve nice complete take off set of backing plates front and rear $125.00 for all four Plus ship.

10. lht

lht

i use f-100 drums out front stops good didn't kill my wallet

11. bgaro

bgaro

i just scored. complete front and rear axles drum to drum from a '36, wishbones,springs, even has some neat wide five rims welded to make fifteens. i couldn't get the $50 out of my pocket fast enough. i also got a pedal set up, and four complete backing plates from a '37. i've set up enuff hydraulic systems,this will be interesting. 37kid,i didn't even know i wanted that, pm sent.

12. This would be an excellent question for the Early V8 section of fordbarn.com or earlyfordv8.org.

Charlie Stephens

13. bgaro

bgaro

now i'm wondering if i can put the 37 cable backing plates on the 36 drum an spindle, eliminating the rod through the kingpin thing. i'll go creep around on the ford barn.

14. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

37 cable backing plates will not work with 36 drums, the spindle bearing offset is different. 37 backing plates require the use of backing plate spacers to center the plate and redrilling the backing plate bolts to marry to the 36 spindles.

15. bgaro

bgaro

so i've decided on aftermarket forged spindles. not much i can salvage from the 36 fronts except (hopefully) the drums. if i am understanding correctly i can use new 37-48 spindles and spacers to keep the drums.anyone know how these spacers actually go on?

Attached Files:

16. 117harv

117harv

You can't use the 36 drums with the later spindles, the drums sit too far back towards the spindle. 36 drums are a one year only drum and spindle.