Register now to get rid of these ads!

364 Nailhead Overhaul

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robertsregal, Aug 24, 2009.

1. robertsregal

robertsregal

Doing a 1957 Buick want to leave the 364 nailhead in the car. Any input on a overhaul cost, parts availabilty? any info on the dyno flo pro's and con's just looking to mild custom body,lowering, driver? Any info would be appreciated
    :D

2. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

You can figure around $7000 to rebuild right Everything is available

join the nailhead group there a lot of good info in there

3. elanore56

elanore56

get rid of the tranny and the rear end. Open drive line is the way to go.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hunh? Really, so I need to mark mine up another $3k. Damn.

You can get a kit for about $1200 with everything you'll need. I usually end up with about $600-700 in machining depending on what it needs. Then assembly. You'll need to pull it apart first and mic it all up.

But first I need to ask, does it run now? How well? Have you done a compression test and/or leak down?

You can get lowering springs for the rear, they're pigtailed so you can't just cut them. You can get a center section from an early 60's Buick and it'll bolt in to the '57 rear, then some trailing arms and voila open driveline. Then you can grab a ST400 or SP400 and a bushing and have a TH400 equipped car. The Dynaflow is ok, and if it works and isn't leaking they can be fun cruisers.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let ayone tell you that you need hardened valve seats. You do not, and they will most likely ruin the heads putting them in.

5. robertsregal

robertsregal

No it does not run or turn over. have had trany oil in cylinders soaking while i worked on other areas.:cool: