Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '36 with narrowed '40 axle drag link issue?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36tudordeluxe, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Have a '36 with a '40 steering box, CE front end. As you can see in the photo, with steering wheel and front tires centered I don't have enough adjustment left to get drag link end into the steering arm. Seems like the fix would be to shorten the adjustment collar 3/4" inch or so. My question is would this be the correct fix and do I need to take equal amount off each end of the collar or can I take it all off one end of the collar. Couldn't get my picture in preview, hope it comes through.

Attached Files:

2. Try uploading your picture again it, it is loaded as a downloadable PDF. The Chassis Engineering axle is narrower than the stock axle. So you will need a narrower tie rod assembly and drag link assembly to compensate for the new width of the axle. I would not cut the adjuster to try and narrow it up. Get a new tie rod assembly the proper length so that you have the right amount of adjustment in and out for it. Speedway, Pete and Jakes and I believe chassis engineering all sell new replacement ones in custom widths. For 50 bucks or so its worth it.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The Magnum 4 in. dropped axle that I installed in my 40 Ford is 3/4 in. narrower than stock.
    I cut the tie rod and narrowed it 1 inch. in. Tie rods are hollow. Chamfer both edges of the cut tie
    rod and insert a solid piece of CRS or HRS.. Slide the two pieces of tie rod together and then weld everything all around. I welded a big nut at the joint just 'to be sure". I then had to cut the existing threads on the drag link 1 inch longer and used the same sleeve. It's been working fine since 1999. no special parts or kit was needed. Hope this helps. The red line you see marks the center of the axle.for convenience.

Attached Files: