Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 ford VIN

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roger didonato, Nov 23, 2017.

1. roger didonato

roger didonato

If I put a 36 ford body on a 40 ford frame, what vin do I title the car as? stumped in Ma.

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It gets titled to the number that is on the frame. It should be on the top of the driver's side frame rail, in three places.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. I've got a 36.
    This is interesting. What kind of project is it? Ya got pics?

5. alchemy

alchemy

If he titles it as a 40 it will forever have a screwed up number. Any buyer can see the car is a 36 with a 40 number. The DMV might not even do it, since they will also know the number is not a 36 number. Quite a conundrum.

Personally I would keep the 36 number, fill the numbers on the new frame with weld, and let sleeping dogs lie.

harpo1313 and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. Have you tried calling your local DMV and asking them? I would start with the position that "I have a '36 Ford and am replacing the frame with one from a later vehicle". If you start filling in the numbers with weld I think you would be asking for trouble. My guess is that once you convince the DMV everything is on the up and up they will put a tag on your door jam with their own number and a couple of more on the frame. But note that I am in California and we probably do things differently. If you get an answer be sure you make note of who you talked to because you may get a different answer from the next person you talk with.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a frame swap. A frame swap is a perfectly valid repair method, and a frame is a perfectly acceptable repair part.

Every single US state has a process for accomplishing this, properly and legally.

Find out what that process is, and follow it to the letter. Doing otherwise could have severely detrimental effects to your freedom and liberty.

Better yet, post a thread on the board on how you did it when you are done.

Let me break it down for you:

Do paperwork, or risk prison, and certain loss of car.

You decide.

I put up a bunch of cash for a bond, studied up, and got a license, so I have a clue what what I am talking about.

I did all of this so I could facilitate folks in my community (for basically gas money) properly titling their vehicles.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yes, get help from someone that is in business for getting old car titles etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thanks again Gimpy. We are fortunate to have you here.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. roger didonato

roger didonato

My project is a 36 Aussie
    Its a 36 ford coupe Ute from Australia.Will try & post some pics

11. roger didonato

roger didonato

Thanx forall the input guys. Tryin to be honest and the powers to be have other ideas

12. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Yep check with your state. Here the title stays with and is issued with the frame under the car. Even with the "modern" body on frame trucks with real VIN tags in the windshield. The VIN on the title and registration is the # on the frame. Take 2 totaled pick ups and make one driver? The frame number is used. NOT the number you can see through the windshield on the dash tag.

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

In Texas, you have to show proof.. i.e. title.. for the frame and body. You will need receipts on the drivetrain. Once the state checks both vin's and they come back clean, they issue a VIN tag and the new VIN must be stamped into the frame and engine block and the tag on the door jamb. This new VIN is what will be on the title, the old numbers are flagged in their system to reflect the merge. Not hard to do... But you have to have the old titles.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. eberhama

eberhama

I have a '40 coupe on a '36 frame, just pop on over to minnesota and we'll swap frames, and everything will be kosher. Ezee-peezee.