Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 36 Ford frame dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turnaround, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround

I am trying to put an OEM inner frame between a pair of newly manufactured (Canada) outer frame rails. The rear frame kick up locates the inner and outer, and, as my new outers have some holes per drilled, the back half is gold. Problem is my front half is an inch off with the inner slightly over an inch too long. The Canadian outer rails match up with Wescott's diagram. But, the inner actually came out from under a real car so it's dimensions should be credible. The inner frame can't be a Mercury as they did not exist in 36. I can't see how my inner frame could have stretched. Is Wescott and the Canadians wrong? What gives?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This is all I can offer 35-40.JPG

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Perhaps 0.75% dimensional instability over 78 years isn't all that shoddy :)

4. Turnaround

Turnaround

I got this frame done. I used factory style hot rivets to connect the inner frame to the outer (Canadian) frame. Using rivets requires that the two (or more) plates fit tightly together, or there will be a big divot under the rivet heads. I had to cut about four feet of the Canadian frame's flanges. and reshape, to get a snug fit between inner and outer frame. After spending $1600 for the Canadian frame, I wasn't real happy. I had to make the short cross members around the middle of the car. It seems all the repop guys have quit stocking these members. The frame now goes to my brother's garage in Maryland, where we will try welding all new floor panels, and try mounting the five window body. Looks like Eastwood 2K chassis paint for the frame.

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had sort of the same issue with my frame. I used three donors with the best parts combined to make one. it was a heck of an ordeal to fit the "X" parts properly up into the rails, since they weren't originally mated. Most hole lined up, but much force was needed to seat properly for riveting. In the end, I took it to Austin Speed Shop and they got everything straight and riveted. Pics on my build thread. Congratulations on finishing your frame yourself.