Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Monday at lunch I stopped by to check on progress. She was up in the air getting brake and fuel lines.
    She had Jerry's 34 coup on one side and a 57 chevy wagon on the other to keep her company. The lines were looking very nice. Here Mark is hard at work on the lines. The tank is reinstalled after the filler was sealed off and relocated to the top for the in the trunk filler cap.

firepilot likes this.
  2. I went be Mark's shop at lunch all week to check progress and each day he was a little farther. On the exhaust we snaked 2" all the way out the back with a cross over. The rear was a bit of work to get around the lowered suspension and stay above the frame and rearend but mark is unbeleavable at putting pipe where most can not. He actualy tucked the pipe into the frame as he went above the radius rods.

daddio211 likes this.
  3. Saturday after working half a day trying to get cought up I went over and picked her up and brought her home to see if I can get her fired. Here she waits patiently to get rolled back in the garage. The exhaust all finished. The hard lines are complete on the brakes but I am still short the flex lines. I wanted rubber to look right braided stainless would look out of place but Mark refused to put rubber on. So he had some rubber coated braided lines made that look correct but wont expand. They should be delivered the first of the week then we can finish the brakes. The fuel lines are ran to the firewall but we are waiting on fittings to run hard lines on the motor to keep the top end clean.

daddio211 likes this.
  4. daddio211 and firepilot like this.
  5. When are you going to fire it Kipp?

6. Sunday I hooked a battery and a fuel line to a five gallon can of gas. When I poured gas in the carb I got sputtering but the fuel pump was not working so Monday I ordered a new pump.
    The new pump came in the mail today so when I got home I swaped pumps. Huston we have ignition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She fired right off and purred like a kitten!
    By Saturday I need to get fan belts and the radiator installed so I can break in the cam.

prefect20, daddio211, lewk and 5 others like this.
  7. HAPPY DAY!

prefect20 and Outback like this.
  8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It looking great Kip, a long road but what a beautiful looking custom! keep it up!

9. Instert u tube video here....

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Congrats! I started my flathead today but the results were less than perfect.....It was still good to here it run through those smittys mufflers.

11. Congrats Kipp. Another milestone reached.

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Any chance there will be a video of the cam break in? Some old guys would like a new Flatty Fix.:)

13. Great to hear (I wish I could!)

Looks super good from below.

Outback likes this.
  14. Congrats! Won't be long before it's done!

15. Thanks for the interest everyone. I should have the cooling system buttoned up today after work. And a video up tomarrow if everything works out.

daddio211 likes this.
  16. Spent the day finishing installing the radiator and then pushed her outside to run her for a while. She fired and ran like a dream for the most part ( the oil filter bolt backed off while running and she started to leak oil down the side ) but I was very pleased with the first hour of run time. Glover came over and shot video that he should post later today I hope. Now for the step back!!! Aparently I dident get the fan until after I had the radiator back off after mock up because she dosent fit! So some ass scratching is called for to try and shoehorn a fan in there because I really don't want to run an electric fan. I will post pics later.

firepilot likes this.
  17. firepilot likes this.
  18. I pulled the radiator back out and painted it then reinstalled and ready to be filled. After I pushed her out to run her.
    She spent the day out in the sun with lots of visitors coming by to visit. I ran her for about an hour at around 1500rpm. I had to run the hose on the radiator to keep the temp down without a fan. Aside from a little seepage around the head studs and the lid loosening up on the oil filter she ran without any major problems.
    After buttoning her up I brought out the front fenders and put bed liner on the inside.

daddio211 and firepilot like this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Sounds like a fun day!

20. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, thanks for pics. Everything is looking terrific, and it is great to get a good look at the motor before you cover it up. I hope to see that video of it running soon. Now we're all anxious to see the front go on as well. I hope it goes on smoothly. I had to reset my grill four times, it's amazing how a few mils of paint can throw things so far out of whack. It's unfortunate that the fan is not fitting, what's keeping it from doing so? So far through your build, it seems that you've had things very well thought out, so don't get down about overlooking something. I've overlooked umpteen things through out my build. I hope it will be something like a little trimming of the blades and a rebalancing to make your fan fit. It would be a shame to have to go electric on a car you've just a remarkable job of making period perfect. I hope everything goes well from here on out. I'll be firing my new motor as soon as this gig I'm on is over. Then except for a few odds and ends, mine's on the street too. We all wanted to make the LSR but life got in the way for both of us. But we can make Bonneville in August for certain. Are there any other events you're hoping to make to with the coupe before then?
    Best regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

21. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

Video from yesterday, firing the motor

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thank you! And by the way, the color is perfect as well as the stance. Excited to see it all together again. I'll wear a bib at Bonneville so I don't slobber on it.o_O

23. Thanks for the video Glover it came out perfect.
    Thanks Six Ball. So close and yet so far. Now I just need to work out the fan issue and start assembly on the front clip.

24. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Just an outstanding build! Your coupe is perfect, you must be grinning ear to ear. Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing the video and all the detailed posts.
    Dean

25. Thanks Dean. I will really be smiling when I can take her for a ride around the block.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The first ride is the best ride... and even better if you make it back home!
    Thanks for sharing the trip.
    Keep workin'
    Al

27. Hafta agree; the color looks like the real deal of the period.
    Re FAN clearance: There is wiggle room to be had by adjusting the long cowl rods,
    of course, but also the bottom mounting bolt positioning. The factory rad. support
    gives two choices, as they are drilled in line about 2" apart. The pass. car is the front
    pair, as I recall, but you may be able to use the rear ones, which will push the rad.
    forward. (Yours look like they are drilled out in a diagonal pattern) The correct
    bolts also have a spring incorporated to give a bit of flex, but primarily, to absorb road
    shock, thereby preventing cracking of the core support. You can also place a couple of
    layers of inner tube between the frame and support for additional wiggle room. Ultimately, the final placement is decided by the grille, however. So I would suggest you begin to mount the grille, fenders and supports (headlight stanchions) LOOSELY, to see where you REALLY are....
    (If you think you have problems, I am facing the same issue with the bigger Olds in my '36. Don't want to hack out the firewall, or use an electric fan; may require some creative "trimming".)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  28. Thanks Al. The first trip is so close I can taste it.
    Or maby a little creative trimming of the radiator? I agree there has to be some way to move the radiator forward a little bit to avoid an electic fan. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

29. Tonight I set the seat in place and figured out the amount I need to raise the rear to clear the new tunnel over the overdrive. Then I disassembled the wood so I can modify the pan tomarrow.

30. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

very very good I'm appy for you Kippers 34

What is the car at the rear on the video ?