Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Mark made me toe boards and tranny tunnel to finish floor. .[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Your the man! Well "the man" is actually the man but you're right up there. Keep raising the bar..... Love the updates. Your giving us all the fix we so badly crave..

3. Glad to be of service. Wait till the grill!

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kip, I like the rod 'buck' you formed the lower fender line with. Actually, I love it...
    I have a '27 Touring I'm nearly ready to form patches for, so your project and 'how-tos' opened the door to simpler solutions than I had been using for years...

Thanks for so much explanation of esoterics. Much appreciated.
    Can't wait for the grille...

5. Thanks Mike. It's amazing the things I learn by reading build threads on here.

6. Amazing. One of the best threads I have come across. Keep up the awesome work. We're all cheering for you!

7. Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

8. I started on the grille the other day. I had a grille that was bent up a bit ( I bought it off e bay really cheap because the inner grille and side chrome was exelent) that I mounted in the car.

[​IMG]

Then I cut all the bars out.

[​IMG]

Now I can set my NORS 39 nash grille in place and stand back and look. I set it in place and it dident look right at all so I flipped it upside down and the lines started to look right.

[​IMG]

9. The grille was a little long so I cut the bottom tooth ( That became the top) off so the height was correct. Then I mad sides out of some 10 ga. sheet and bolted them on.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

What a great build thread,you've done pretty good job so far.
    Keep it up!

11. Thanks. She's been a fun build so far.

12. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Everytime I see an old 36 five window with some blue on her I can't help but think if she is our old girl...
    Forgot to add that you are doing one great job on the old coupe....

Attached Files:

13. This will be awesome Kipp. Neat trick flipping the grill

14. Thanks Mark. Front clip is off 4 door. Sorry. It would be cool if she was your old coupe.

Thanks Kenneth. I will post more pics tonight with modified grill tacked in place.

15. After I made sides for the grille I made a buck from a piece of 5"x 1/4" plate.

[​IMG]

Then I cut a piece of sheet metal and wrapped it around the plate to form the top of the grill frame.
    [​IMG]

Then tacked to the side panels.

[​IMG]

16. Then I formed another buck for the bottom and tacked/clamped a piece of sheet metal to the plate.

[​IMG]

This piece was bent to a 90 to attach a new chin too then welded to the frame.

[​IMG]

17. The new frame tacked in place. I filled the side with masking tape to get a better view.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now its time to fill the sides and form a chin.

Kage likes this.
  18. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Looks perfect.

19. I just got back working on mine again. I was convinced I wasn't going to chop the roof but you made it look much easier than the other chops I've seen on these. The only thing that still has me on the fence is how the side windows get smaller. It's not so much the lowered roof but the extra length in the tail that I like. I also like the rounded door tops. Top work, I'll be watching with interest.

20. Thanks again. Cant wait to skin the sides and chin on the grill.

Thank you. I wasent sure on weather to chop or not at first but im very glad I did. The windows look right even though their smaller.

21. Got some time today to try and finish the grill. The grill frame is attached so I put a couple reinforcement braces on the sides.

[​IMG]

Then I pulled the grill out of the frame so I could fill the sides and chin.

[​IMG]

I made filler panels for the sides and welded them into place.
    [​IMG]

22. I finished the sides and smoothed everything then set the grill back in to check for fit after welding.

[​IMG]

And a side shot. Hopefully tomarrow I can get time to install the new chin and start on the front of the hood.

[​IMG]

23. That's bitchin!!:D

24. Wow, great work, I love the grill!

25. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

That looks way cool kippers! As Rikster pointed out, some 36s with grill treatment had a scoop low down for extra air. Are you thinking about filling in the sides of the hood??

26. Beatyfull Kipp.You make it look so easy but I guess there´s a lot of time spend in that piece.Keep it going......Kenneth.

27. Thanks.

Thanks. I wanted something a little less common.

Thank you. I have been thinking about a scoop for a chin. Needs to look at home there. Also thinking of something on the sides of the grill ( like louvers ,small coul vent style doors, or something ) any other thoughts? I think I will leave the hood sides alone.

Thanks Kenneth. Easy yes. Time? I try not to think about the amount of time or money spent on my projects because its always to much!

Thank again everyone for the encouragement.

28. Got a little garage time this morning. So I stared on the grill chin.

[​IMG]

Got it trimmed and tacked in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the chin welded and ground I welded the seams between the fender and filler panels. Being as the lip underneath holds the inner fender, braces, etc I dident cut it off and flush the seam.

[​IMG]

29. After finishing I put the headlights and bumper back on.

[​IMG]

Kustom.Falcon likes this.
  30. Then I decided to install the left skirt and push her outside for a better look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to fit the skirts so they fit right but this gives an idea of what they will look like.

[​IMG]

And one from the right.

[​IMG]

Kustom.Falcon likes this.