Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 ford coupe front fender removal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hot-rod roadster, Nov 15, 2018.

1. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Seems like a dumb question but can't get these last 2 bolts out. Im sure they have nuts on them but I can not find the other end. Looks like they go up into the cowl but I see no way to get to them. Anyone else taken fenders off a 36...HELP

Attached Files:

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

My friend is restoring a 36 Ford coupe and has had it all apart.
    PM me your email address and I'll email you his email address. JIM

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they're the ones I think they are, remove the kick panels and they'll be in plain view.

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leave if for a few more years and the problem will go away when the bottom of the cowl has rotted away! The '36 5w I had came that way and I had to improvise after replacing the lower cowl with the usual patch panels, but these didn't come with the returns which I assume must have contained captive nuts for the pictured bolts to fasten into. My guess is that there's rust in there or the bolts seized enough for the captive boxes (or whatever they're called) to have been torn out. They're not accessible from above I don't think but might be from the side, inside with the body raised from the frame (big job, obviously). I'd be cutting the heads off the bolts to get the fenders out of there and seeing what's left. I do miss that car.

Chris

5. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thanks Chris, my thoughts exactly. Theres only about 15 other bolts to hold that fender on

6. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thanks for your response Tag. That was the first thing I did and still can't see anyway to get to them. I'm betting they were caged nuts that broke loose. As Chris said sounds like I might just cut them off and deal with it after the fender is off and I can see whats going on.

7. Gurt74

Gurt74

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly the same, Gurt74 and apologize to hot-rod roadster for mis-leading him - I shouldn't have trusted my (poor) memory!.

I got out to the shop today and checked my '36 and the bolts do indeed screw captured nuts that can't be accessed from the inside without cutting the floor apart. I had forgotten, but I had to replace one of those hidden captured nuts myself. I used a hole saw to cut it out, then cut a circular piece of the same size sheet metal, welded a 5/16-24 nut to the sheet metal piece, then welded the assembly to the body. Worked perfectly.

Looks your you'll have to cut/grind off the head of the stuck bolts, remove the fender and go from there.
    -Bob

9. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Only thing you can do.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app