Register now to get rid of these ads!

36 Flathead question.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spitfire1776, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

....trying to get the gearbox off, and its comes off about 3/4 inch, then no go. Is it just clutch plate/ressure plate frozen to spline, or is there some special trick to the earlier flatheads to remove gearbox?

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Could be clutch disk rusted to the input - have also seen pilot bushing come out of crank & not let trans off! Destroyed the clutch disk getting that one out!

Can you look in the inspection cover & see if the splines are sliding in the disk at all?

3. jetmek

jetmek

i had the same problem not long ago. no amount of heat, lube or prybars would break it free. eventually had to cut away the trans bell to unbolt the pressure plate. damn mice...

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

try snapping the pressure plate if you can
    if the throwout bearing will move....pull the lever back on the tranny and let it snap a few times

worth a shot!
    Zach

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Stabilize and add some pressure with wooden wedges between bell and engine--look at how much you can see through the inspection plate; if engine can be turned you might be able to get off pressure plate bolts thriugh there...and dropping pan will get you more access.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The one I had with the pilot bearing frozen on the input shaft - I ended up putting bolts in with the nuts between the trans & bell and using it like a puller - eventually, the clutch disk came unrivited! Fairly violent & ruined the clutch disk, but what else was there to do? (this was on an 8BA with a steel bell fwiw)

7. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I think the input might be frozen as you said. I'm gonna give that a try when I get the chance. I'm not concerned on busting the clutch disk as long as I don't bust something else a little more difficult to rectify. Thanks.

The engine is froze. I got it for free, no cracks and really overall in decent shape, but basically fell in love with it for some reason.

Thanks, guys