Register now to get rid of these ads!

36 dodge contruction pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rodshop, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Rodshop

Rodshop

Thought I would get some project pics up on this '36 Dodge coupe I am building. I chopped it about 2 1/4 inches, sectioned the grill shell the same. Dropped the grill shell mounting point about two inches to get a better line off of the cowl. I boxed the center section of the frame. Nine inch rear end and rear leafs. The front suspension is all Speedway stuff, 6" dropped axle, new leaf springs and Ford spindles.

Attached Files:

2. Rodshop

Rodshop

Not sure if there is a way to put up more than one picture at a time, so until I figure that out! I will put them up one at a time.

Attached Files:

3. Rodshop

Rodshop

Here is an interior shot, don't worry, the dash won't stay that blue color!

Attached Files:

4. Rodshop

Rodshop

It will have these '39 Plymouth taillights and a frenched license plate. It took a lot to track down all the pieces needed for these tailights! this rear pan has been shortened quite a bit. Thanks for looking....

Attached Files:

5. Hey! Was that coupe painted the same blue as the dash? If so, that car sure looks familiar. Only, the one I'm thinkin of had a mustang front end with a mopar sb.

6. Rodshop

Rodshop

No, the body was never blue. Just the dash. Near as I could tell, the body was black, but lots of pasture years left it without much evidence. Not sure where the blue came from, somebodies idea of starting thier project? or maybe hey had to come up with the dash somewhere before I got it.

7. Rodshop

Rodshop

Getting this pic thing down, bear with me. Here is the frame, only bigger!

Attached Files:

8. Rodshop

Rodshop

This is an attempt at a better frame shot, working out the file size thing here, thanks for hanging in there with me!

Attached Files:

9. Iceberg

Iceberg

What kind of mill are you going to run?

10. Plowboy

Plowboy

I like the blue.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

hey Rodshop,

not to sound too critical but,

it looks like you are using a 6" dropped axle on top of the springs,
    I would think that would put your springs below your scrub line.. [​IMG]

It is good to see other mid thirties Mopars being built!

and 2-1/2" out of the top is about perfect for that body!

I'd like to see more pictures!

Paul

12. Rodshop

Rodshop

Damned close, you got me thinking so I went out and measured and with the 15's on it it is just about as close as you can get and without the spring perch hitting first.I wasn't sure how they measured that until I saw the deal in R&C this month, and checked that way, I just make it. Hey, somebody has to ask the hard questions! I will get some more pics up soon. I think any more on the chop and you have trouble keeping a good shape in the little windows.

13. Rodshop

Rodshop

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of mill are you going to run?

[/ QUOTE ]
    A 401 Nailhead with dual 4's, and a T10 4 speed. Building the motor is one of the next things. Nothing much more than a stock motor with a cam and those carbs. I have one of those Offy intakes.That should be enough for a light car (445 ft. lbs. of torque stock!)

14. plmczy

plmczy

I thought the speedway axle stuff was only for chevy and fords? I was looking for front suspension ideas for my 31 dodge. I'd like to lower the front a little bit. Was your frame the right specs to use that axle or did you modify it a little. later plmczy

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Speedway axles accept either Chevy or Ford spindles but you can put them under almost anything.

they come in kit form so you weld the pads to the axle and the perches to the frame.

Paul

16. Southfork

Southfork

Have you figured out the steering yet? What are you planning to use, and does it clear the Nailhead/starter ok? Is the starter on the driver's side, I forget?

Love those Nailheads, but wonder about clearance.

BTW, I've got a 35 Dodge coupe project on the back burner, and this thread is giving me some ideas. Thanks!

17. Rodshop

Rodshop

[ QUOTE ]
    Speedway axles accept either Chevy or Ford spindles but you can put them under almost anything.

they come in kit form so you weld the pads to the axle and the perches to the frame.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. This is set up with ford spindles, the parellel leaf springs and the dropped tube axle that comes in several "drops". this is the 6" drop.

18. Rodshop

Rodshop

I set this up with a Vega box and cross steer. The started is on the left, so you do have to work with it some to get past the starter, but it works with a little finageling (is that a word?) I held the motor over about an inch and worked with the column placement some. It is one of those Lime Works columns.

19. Rodshop

Rodshop

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you figured out the steering yet? What are you planning to use, and does it clear the Nailhead/starter ok? Is the starter on the driver's side, I forget?

Love those Nailheads, but wonder about clearance.

BTW, I've got a 35 Dodge coupe project on the back burner, and this thread is giving me some ideas. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

this shot shows the starter and clearence better. I think these are great cars, they need a little help, but we will have more leg room then the Ford guys!

Attached Files:

20. Rodshop

Rodshop

You can see some of this better before the black paint. shows the Vega box, etc.

Attached Files:

21. Southfork

Southfork

Hey, Rodshop, yeah, those pictures clear that question up. I was wondering if it would work, and it does.

How difficult is it finding the right parts to put a 4-speed behind the 401 Nailhead? I'd like to do that if I can come up with all the pieces. Is the flywheel available aftermarket for a 401 manual trans, clutch and bellhousing?
    I've got a '63 401 Nailhead with no trans, and also a 64 with the ST-400.

22. Rodshop

Rodshop

The parts are out there, it took some effort to get all that together. I found an Offy aftermarket bell housing and in fact picked up another one for a next project that is a Crager. I have another 401 builder that I am dreaming about for my next project. Stock ones seem pretty rare since there were not a lot of buick 4 speeds that have not been saved as a muscle car. the flywheel is availible through Poston's (the Buick people). I guess they are now a little over $200 now. they are drilled to axcept chevy cluthes so that is not a problem. I think this is going to be a great combination, so time will tell.