Register now to get rid of these ads!

352 guru to the white phone please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shiftymutt, May 17, 2006.

1. :confused: I have a stock 352 in my galaxie...the previous owner said it was a 390 but the plate says 352....anyway it is in a 62 galaxie...

when i stop at a light a little bit of smoke comes up from the hood...not much but enough...I replaced the breather cap cause it was greased up pretty good...the dump tube looks like something that someone made...

I have bought aftermarket valve covers that allow me to run a breather on each...I have some off road type high flow directional breathers...these are the type that have a shield around part of the breather and the rest is exposed filter....

My thought was to run the breather on each side and keep the dump tube...hopefully that will let the cases breath a little better...

I could pull the dump tube and run a hose into the air filter to add suction but I was tthinking the extra breathers would be enough....

I need some advise.....thanks

2. prime mover

prime mover

I would run a pcv valve on one of the valve covers with the hose going to the carb spacer like most car manufaturers went to in the next few years after yours, I might have a spacer for you. Its actually better for the engine too.

3. Frank

Frank

I understand the 390's are the same block casting with different bore and stroke. The 352 cast on the front is on both engines and may be others.

4. prime-hanks man but I would rather not run a PCV...I was thinking the extra breather would add enough pull to vent the cases...what about a hose from the old dump tube to the air filter base?

5. slim53

slim53

All FE's are cast with 352 in them. All the way until they quit making them as a matter fact:D.......slim

6. Slate

Slate

this is a common issue with Squarebirders too. the draft tube is a crude (and smelly device). Prime has the sol'n. used with success by many. some of these are being made for the birders

7. I would think more vents just puff out more smoke.. PCV actually draws the smoke back into the motor and burns up whats left instead of venting it to the outside. Well, its supposed to, unless you have an extremely worn out motor.

Maybe figure out a way to hide the pcv valve???

8. thanks for the help...I will take a look at my manifold and see what I can do...any other words of wisdom

9. prime mover

prime mover

you could route it down to one of the exhaust pipes and it will suck it out at RPM like a race car but then it just smoke out the tailpipe.

10. it is not that much smoke to be honest it just sucks when I am at a light after getting off the freeway and she puffs a little smoke from under the hood....