Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 351W to C5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dstn, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dstn

Dstn

Thanks for adding me, I’m hoping you can answer my question. I have a 1974 351W that I am wanting to mate to a 1982 Fairmont C5 with a 26 spline. Both have already been rebuilt for performance but I need to know about the torque converter, flex plate, and starter plate. I’m looking for around a 2800-3000 stall and find many made for a C4 but not anything designated for a C5 and wondered what it takes to make one work. Also what flexplate, I’m guessing one for a 164 tooth but wasn’t sure. And the starter plate to match the flywheel?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

You can swap a C4 bellhousing and valve body into the C5 to use the C4 converter and flexplate.

If the bell attaches with the 7 pump bolts, and the dipstick goes into the case, it's a 157 tooth. If it attaches with 5 bolts to the case, and the dipstick goes into the pan, it's a 164 tooth.
    Use a starter plate that matches the bell and flexplate.
    c4casefillbell.jpg c4panfillbell.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    town sedan and juan motime like this.
  3. Dstn

Dstn

Ok so it attaches with the 7 bolts which would make it 157 tooth. A quick ebay search shows the attached pic. Would this be the correct bell housing even though it states the years are newer?

Attached Files:

4. town sedan

town sedan

Welcome Dstn, I expect this thread to vanish soon.

Why? even though your car is old, it's to new for this site. About 17 years to new. Maybe try to word your questions more generically and don't mention your "late model" Ford. Good luck with it and enjoy.
    -Dave

Edit: Sorry I miss read your post and thought you were hot rodding an '82 Fairmont. Carry on.