Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 Trans Fluid Level in pan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LesIsMore, Aug 2, 2012.

1. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Anyone know if a properly topped off 350 turbo trans level of fluid goes above the transmission pan seal, or if it stays right at that level, or below it? If it went above, I would think you wouldnt get an accurate reading on the dipstick with fluid headed up the tube. I am trying to solve a leaking problem, thinking through it.

Les

2. The fluid level will not be above the pan gasket while the car is running warmed up and in neutral, which is how you check it. Once you shut the car off the torque converter will drain back into the pan causing it to "overfill" if you will. That's why you never check it when it's cold and not running.
    Now, as for your leaking problem, check the dipstick fill tube seal, the kickdown cable seal, the vacuum modulator and the pressure outlet that's between the modulator and the kickdown. The pressure outlet is where mine was leaking, drove me crazy. I replaced 2 pan gaskets and all the above mentioned seals and gaskets before I found the plug for the pressure outlet was loose and the fluid was dripping out of that and onto the modulator hose and ran down to the lowest point and dripped onto the right front corner of the pan and onto the floor. I took out the plug, put some thread sealer on it and tightened it down and it's dry as a bone now, no more leaks. The pressure port will only leak when the car is running and in gear, my car could sit all winter and not leak but as soon as I doove it it would leak for about 2 miniutes after I shut it off and then stop. I don't know if that's your problem but check it over.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's also why some leaks in automatics only show up when you stop and shut the engine off. I've had some pan gaskets that were fine while driving, but stop and they'd mark their territory every time.

4. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

My car is leaking while sitting, hasnt been even run in a month or more, guess have to pull pan and look at a better gasket or find out I am competely wrong and see it is another seal above. Dont think so though, this one has my head scratching, ordered a $24 damn gasket from Summit, the rubber ones with a steel core, other thread recommended that. Fingers crossed.

Les

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thats funny, after nothing but heartache from rubber gaskets, I went to cork.

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am trying to track one down on my T350 also.

7. squirrel

squirrel

The leaks from sitting a while are usually NOT from the pan gasket. It doesn't take much to seal the pan, the main thing is to make sure the pan gasket surface is flat, you have to beat the bolt holes back down with a hammer. Get it clean, use a new cork or fiber gasket, no sealer, torque to spec (about 8 ft lbs)

It really isn't rocket science.

But finding the part that is leaking might be rocket science...it seems to be quite challenging to a lot of guys

8. myktrans

myktrans

yes sir! rubber pan gaskets will have you pulling your hair out.

9. 26 roadster

26 roadster

My trans guy in San Diego's shop shirt said "if it don't leak it don't work". I had to put a drip pan under mine if I wasn't driving it daily. Usually a new seal for the shift lever and some filler tube attention would fix it.

10. Daddy's Toy

Daddy's Toy
    from Pburg NJ

Hey wondering if anyone can help further with similar problem. Have a slow leak of trans fluid to the ground only when vehicle sits over time. Can't tell where from - pan? gasket? I believe the gasket is cork... should I just stick to these posts or does anyone else have new advice on what to look for, how to fix?
    Afraid to drive it now - will I lose fluid on the road?

350 sb chevy, GM turbo 350 trans, gennie turbo-hydro shifter
    Thanks

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Give it "The White Glove Test" to determine if the leak is above the pan gasket.

If it is the gasket that's leaking then like another poster said make sure the pan rails
    are flat.................and get a Farpak fiber gasket, the best by far.

12. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Maybe it says, "if it don't leak I don't work."

13. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Also check the O ring on the selector shaft, and the governor cover.